Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I posted a couple of weeks ago saying that my MCSF light had come on together with the engine misfiring after going down a bumpy lane. You were all very helpful at the time and the problem seemed to disappear.

HOWEVER....it has started again....my usual journey to work is only 10 miles and Freddie (my 147TS Lusso) has been fine - no problems at all on my 2 x 10 mile journeys per day. Yesterday however, I did a 40 mile round trip and after about 20 miles, the MCSF light came on again and the car started misfiring and spluttering - loss of power for a few seconds, then it would right itself and then maybe 30 seconds afterwards would start with the light flashing again together with more misfiring and spluttering and loss of power. This continued all the way home plus the handling on the car seemed 'iffy' at the same time.

So...I got home, and twenty minutes later took Freddie out again and she was FINE. Today, I've done a longer journey again and once AGAIN after about 20 continuous miles, the light once again came on and more spluttering and misfiring. My husband has just taken her out and she's fine again but he only drove her around the block for a couple of miles.

I can't get her to a garage to have her codes read until next Monday.
Any ideas please????

Thanks a lot,
:)

L

·
0 Posts
at a guess I'd said Lambda but until you get the error code read its a wild guess, could be oil around the sprak plugs either, or MAF, or ........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im more worried about a car called "freddie"
good luck with the car.
Yes, well I always give my cars pet names - and being as the reg no is FDE then
this car (being an Alfa and being Italian) is called FreDErica or FreDdiE for short!!
I know I'm bonkers, but she has a spirit, Frederica and deserves a name haha!!:lol:

·
Registered
566 Posts
This sounds like a classic case of the oxygen sensor failing. I believe that on the early 147's there were 3 of them.
The sensors have a limited lifespan, I think its around 60k miles. The other issue could be the wiring on the sensor itself. A friend had this problem and even though the ECU recorded the fault as it occurred it would not come up as a fault on the code reader unless the connector and wiring were disturbed. But I would not start fiddling with it until you get the code read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts