Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had an aftermarket head unit professionally installed in my 2001 Alfa 156 (i.e. the original shape, pre-facelift) but I can't turn the stereo on unless the ignition is switched on. The installer came back to check it and said there are no accessory wires so he will have to speak to some people and get back to me.

I just texted him the link to this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/ice-...ftermarket-headunit-guide-147-156-and-gt.html He replied saying that the Canbus cannot be connected to the radio, it can only be used on the original as canbus has low milliamp.

I replied asking what about the A6 ILLUM (illumination) or A7 Ub (battery) which is in the normal ISO position 4. He says: "none are accessory output at all, even the lighter is ignition".

What to do?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
If you want to be able to turn the radio on/off independent of the ignition key (ie: regardless of key position or even if the key is in the barrel), then just connect the aftermarket headunit's accessories/ignition wire (should be red) to the Ub wire. This will provide a constant live power supply, allowing to turn the radio on/off at will.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I repeated what you said to the installer and he said he can do that but the stereo will stay on unless we turn it off manually....which is an option I thought I had said I would be ok with. Hopefully he can now come back and sort it out, it sucks not being able to use the stereo when the car is switched off e.g. while sitting in the car waiting for someone!

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
What you're possibly used to is - say in a Japanese car - having an 'ACC' (accessories) key position, but the Alfa does not have that. So you either have to have the key at 'ON' (and all the other electrics coming on), or wiring it 'permanently' like I mentioned; indeed, with the latter, you will need to manually turn it off, or risk running your battery flat.

However, a final option is what I have done in my Alfa's, and add a toggle switch. You can mount the switch discretely under the dash. In one position, the radio turns on/off when you have ignition at ON; in the other position, it bypasses the ignition and turns the radio on regardless.

Basically, the toggle switch switches between the Ub wire (permanent live) and ignition (key ON position) wire, feeding to the radio's ACCessories (red) wire. The installer will understand what I mean by this.

:)

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
What you're possibly used to is - say in a Japanese car - having an 'ACC' (accessories) key position, but the Alfa does not have that. So you either have to have the key at 'ON' (and all the other electrics coming on), or wiring it 'permanently' like I mentioned; indeed, with the latter, you will need to manually turn it off, or risk running your battery flat.

However, a final option is what I have done in my Alfa's, and add a toggle switch. You can mount the switch discretely under the dash. In one position, the radio turns on/off when you have ignition at ON; in the other position, it bypasses the ignition and turns the radio on regardless.

Basically, the toggle switch switches between the Ub wire (permanent live) and ignition (key ON position) wire, feeding to the radio's ACCessories (red) wire. The installer will understand what I mean by this.)hertakeit one step furt
You could even take it one step further, and install a timer switch with an on-time of say 1 hour, with a momentary switch to reset timer.... Everytime you press the button, the radio switches on for 1 hour :)
However, bit more complicated/expensive, perhaps overkill ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been reading up on this since I'm having the same issue. I'm not considering to add a switch, but may get another HU that could do this. I'm a complete noob to aftermarket headunits stuff so the fact that it didn't power on without ignition was a big surprise (er, disappointment).

It seems the Blaupunkt Barcelona 230 (and Brisbane which is the same thing minus the CD unit) have this written in their manuals (on page 6):
If you switch on the car sound system while
the vehicle ignition is switched off, it automatically
switches off after 1 hour to preserve
the vehicle battery.
But to be honest, I'm not sure if by "vehicle ignition off" they mean completely off, even no key inserted (like the factory unit), or just the ACC position that Alfas don't have..

On a sidenote, they're also compatible with steering wheel controls out of the box, no need for adapters.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
....It seems the Blaupunkt Barcelona 230 (and Brisbane which is the same thing minus the CD unit) have this written in their manuals (on page 6):

But to be honest, I'm not sure if by "vehicle ignition off" they mean completely off, even no key inserted (like the factory unit), or just the ACC position that Alfas don't have..
Yep that's the way it works, there are a couple of models/makes that have that option.
It's possible due to the face that the radio is connected to both a switched and a permanent +12, so can use the permanent +12 to power the radio, and use the switched +12 to detect contact on/off.....

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
"vehicle ingition off" is key in off position or key out (same effect) "vehichle ingition on" is key in ON position (whether motor is running or not is irrelevant). If your car has ACC:
It depends on how it is wired... The radio has 2 power inputs:
A) permanent live
B) ignition live

If you wire ignition live to the ACC wire (that Alfas do not have) it will work on the ACC and ON positions. If you wire ignition live to ON then it will work only in ON key position.

That Blaupunkt you meantioned powers everything (50W) off the permanent live wire and uses the ignition live wire as a trigger signal (<1W).

Most other radios only run their time and radio memory on permanent live (<1W) and uses the ignition live wire to power everything else (50W).

It depends on what AMPs your permanent live wire can provide - 50W is 4AMP - so should generally be OK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts