Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 156 2.5l a few weeks and the oil was fine when I got it. Looking at it today the oil was only just above the min line so I added 0.75l of 10W-40, went to start the car and the engine just turns over but won't start.

Is there something I've done wrong, or can I work out why it isn't starting (getting it to flash fault codes or something)?!?

Any help appreciated... :cry:

G

·
0 Posts
I can't see it being related.....
It may seem like a silly question but knowing Alfa's and how sensitive the fuel gauge, pump and tank are to low fuel... Is it more than half full?

A 156 needs to be:
A. on level ground
B. At least 2x 5 ltr full fuel cans if it has ran out of fuel before it even attempts to start.

Check the fuel pump cut off switch under the front of the passenger seat, one click will reset it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's about a third full. It has done 240 miles since I last filled it and I got 370 miles from the previous full tank (same sort of driving for both), do you think that this is too little fuel? I tried pressing the switch under the passenger seat and it still wont start.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you move it a small amount just before (like take it out of the garage)? Could be flooded if so
Nope. I took it to the petrol station and back to get some milk last night, but haven't started / moved it today.

Try reseting your fuel cut off on the passenger side
I have tried pressing the button under the seat, still won't start.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
in front of battery are a few relays pop them off swap them over like for like with others and then start her :cool:
Tried swapping the fuel pump relay with the fan 1 relay next to it (they look the same). No change, car still wont start.

Are there any other signs I can look for as to what is wrong?

G

·
0 Posts
Try some more fuel in ... Regardless of what the fuel gauge says, which are probably the most unpredictable fitted to a modern car...... It won't harm it;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds daft but is your batt charged?

Thats a lot of oil you've gone through too?

Car has been doing decent runs all week (50 miles a journey), and is turning the engine over strongly, so I would say yes. It just won't actually start.

The MOT advisory does say it has an oil leak, but I can't see puddles of oil. I think it has gotten through less than half a litre since I have owned it but like I say that hasn't been long, it's something I know I need to keep an eye on, but only if I can get the car to start. I had topped up the oil before it went below minimum, and the car has driven smoothly until yesterday.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
1000miles they says will use 1L of fuel, so might not be as bad as I thought.

Sounds like it will be an easy cheap fix....just finding the bugga.

As above, crank sensor, Earths.....fuses......just double check everything

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try some more fuel in ... Regardless of what the fuel gauge says, which are probably the most unpredictable fitted to a modern car...... It won't harm it;)

More fuel added, engine still turns over but won't start!

OP have you taken any leads off earth clamp ???????? i know if a small lead aint connected ..it never start
I haven't done anything with the wiring since I got it. I was looking at the gearbox under the battery to see if I could see the reverse light switch as the reverse lights don't work and I have checked the bulbs already, decided that I couldn't see the switch without having to take things apart (which I didn't want to do) so just checked and topped up the oil...

Are there any other suggestions left than the crank sensor, and is replacing it something a mechanic can do with the car on axle stands or will I need to get it recovered to a garage?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have had my 156 2.5l a few weeks and the oil was fine when I got it. Looking at it today the oil was only just above the min line so I added 0.75l of 10W-40, went to start the car and the engine just turns over but won't start.

Is there something I've done wrong, or can I work out why it isn't starting (getting it to flash fault codes or something)?!?

Any help appreciated... :cry:
Another thread on here in the last couple of days exactly the same as yours. Turned out to be crank sensor...common fail point.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts