Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of not using it I've finally put my 156 back together. I have a few problems, any advice on any of the issues would be greatly received. Its a 1.8ts. Which just had its head gasket re done.

1. It gets hot, only when stationary for a while and the fan doesn't cut in at any temp! All wires seem to be in place

2. Tick over is very lumpy, seems to run be missing on one cylinder almost, and if you floor the throttle it will hesitate cough and splutter for a split second before reving up as it should.

3. While driving, if you come to a stop after high revs it will stall. Normally after a trip up the motor way.

Valve timing was done with the locking tools, its not pressurising,

Any thoughts anyone

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Might have a slight bend in one of the valves. Silly question? Did you do the HG, and if yes did you put the head face down on the floor with cams still in with valve stickin out?
Check the MAF sensor as that could make it run rough too at low revs and be reluctant to rev but pick up as normal once the engine speeds up.
As head gasket went did it get hot and did you change the stat? If its boiled then the sender may have gone and thats why the fan doesn't kick in.
Looks like the radio needs the code putting back in it. Try looking in you owners manual for it or speak to the stealer although it will cost you!!!

No guarantees this will solve but things to check. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
re the stereo, you need to leave it on untill "code" appears, then enter code, you do have the number dont you?:tut:

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sensor issue makes sense, where is it located? The valves are fine, as the compression was good across all 4 cylinders. I did use a cheap and nasty head gasket from ebay. It looked rubbish so I'm hoping that isn't the cause of it all. But with regards to the sensor there is normally a run off from the inlet manifold to it somewhere on the bulkhead. Is it the same with these? Thanks in advance. John

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
After months of not using it I've finally put my 156 back together. I have a few problems, any advice on any of the issues would be greatly received. Its a 1.8ts. Which just had its head gasket re done.

1. It gets hot, only when stationary for a while and the fan doesn't cut in at any temp! All wires seem to be in place

2. Tick over is very lumpy, seems to run be missing on one cylinder almost, and if you floor the throttle it will hesitate cough and splutter for a split second before reving up as it should.

3. While driving, if you come to a stop after high revs it will stall. Normally after a trip up the motor way.

Valve timing was done with the locking tools, its not pressurising,

Any thoughts anyone
1. Thermostat needs repalcing, 1 hours work & the fan fuses [ 50amp ] could be blown

2. water/oil down around the plugs?

3. as 2. or timing is out, did you use cam locks?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yeah he used cam locks.

John, did you mark the crank when you took the belt off. It may have moved a tooth. The ts engine will still run if its tooth out (as I found out. lol) although its a bit rough.

The MAF sensor is on the air filter side of the throttlebody.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers people, yeah i used cam locking tools so confindent its not a tooth out, going to check the fuse tomorrow, hope its that simple!
there is loads of oil down one plug! would that make a difference?
i noticed driving it that ot runs smooth while cold and when heated for a few minutes its idle is rough

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
oil down plug, difference, yes

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
1 will more than likely be a rotten Fan resistor or the radiator cowling.

2 and 3 sound more like the MAF to me, unless it's the CF2 where it will probably be the Idle actuator is unpluged/faulty. These 2 problems are connected.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers again, I will get all the oil out of two plug holes that's pretty much covered and report back. How nice would it be if it was that! It also happens all the time not just when warm I noticed this morning not just when hot. Also this morning it sounded like it was spitting back in the inlet manifold. Hoo hum

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the plot thickens, this morning i went to drain the oil from the plug holes and as i was removing the plug on number 3 the top of the plug just came off! leaving the thread in the head!!!!

AHHHHHHH

fearing the worst in having to remove the head to get the spark plug thread out, i popped a screw driver down and managed to unscrew it!

what a relief, im hoping it was that plug that was failing. but im not convinced it was. its spitting back in the inlet manifold and im sure thats valve timing, but i used locking tools and a dti tool to measure top dead centre so cant see how they would be out????

anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if the plug was broken then surely at times there would be un-burnt fuel in the chamber... maybe that then was the back firing when it did eventually ignite by the 'exhausting/emission' spark-plug

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohhh i hope so! cheers sears. was a bit naughty this morning as it happened before work so i blocked off the plug with a bolt just to get into work. so a trip to halfords on my lunch and hopefully thats it finished!

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok now ive replaced the sparkplug and the problem still persists, it sounds like its hunting almost! which if i remember correctly is down to being too rich. ive done a compression test all cylinders are 190 which is ok. if i undo the injectors one by one there is no obvious issue as the revs drop the same on each cylinder. so it must be either maf sensor? ive sprayed everywhere inlet side with easy start and the revs didnt go up. so there are no leaks on the induction side....... any thoughts???

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
go for a BLAST & get the cat up to temp, then see what happens

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if my maf was defective would if disconnected would it still drive? is the maf sensor on the inlet pipe or on the aluminium throttle body?

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its ok found it, the power of ebay to see what a new one looks like! it doesnt spluttter when you floor it now which is a lot better but tick over still hunts a bit. i am leaning towards timing but i know what i did and triple checked at the time, even turned the engine over a few times and put everything back to make sure of it because of these very horror stories. thanks for all your help so far tho. its been very helpful!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts