Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
130 Posts
mine went on same car last year mate 900 quid at italauto to fix mine with 6 month warrenty.just to give you a estimate

·
Registered
1 Posts
Garages must make a killing with this. I have had this happen last week. I drive an alfa 156 sportswagon jtdm. Using the same engine as the vectra 1.9 z19dth 150 bhp . My brake vacuum pump jammed stopping the exhaust cam whilst doing 80 in 6th. This snapped the cam belt. These engines are designed only to break the rockers. The valves hit the pistons head on (no
Scope for bending) true enough
Damage to pistons 1 and 3 rockers. Grand total 140 quid for timing belt kit , injector seals and rockers from vauxhall. What a great engine design!! Easy DIY. ... But thanks pierburg for causing a days inconvenience by making a brake vacuum pump that can only last 50k!! Not your usual water pump jamming etc

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hi, I've just done this a few weeks ago on a 147 I picked up cheaply for my girlfriend. As Ned says the injectors can get stuck, one of mine was but a soak in plus gas and a bit of gentle wiggling and it came out, it looks like the seal had been leaking allowing carbon to build up around it but apart from that it was a nice job to do, 6 of the rockers were snapped and 2 were bent but you should change all 16.

A guy on ebay was selling the rockers for £80 for a set, injector seals £5, belt and pump £120, cam carrier gasket £15.
Whilst it was all apart and as the swirl valves were leaking I also put a manifold on it plus an oil and filter change.
It took most of a Sunday to do but some of that was to change the manifold and now its running great, I just now need to do the wishbones..

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hi, I've just done this a few weeks ago on a 147 I picked up cheaply for my girlfriend. As Ned says the injectors can get stuck, one of mine was but a soak in plus gas and a bit of gentle wiggling and it came out, it looks like the seal had been leaking allowing carbon to build up around it but apart from that it was a nice job to do, 6 of the rockers were snapped and 2 were bent but you should change all 16.

A guy on ebay was selling the rockers for £80 for a set, injector seals £5, belt and pump £120, cam carrier gasket £15.
Whilst it was all apart and as the swirl valves were leaking I also put a manifold on it plus an oil and filter change.
It took most of a Sunday to do but some of that was to change the manifold and now its running great, I just now need to do the wishbones..
Also you have to be very careful the cams have not moved on the pulleys, it is imperative to make sure both cam locks will fit

We do complete repair kit on our shop

Broken Cambelt Repair Kit for 1.9 JTD & JTDm Engines. - Autolusso New Parts Shop

This also comes with a bit of phone help if required

Ned

1 - 7 of 7 Posts