Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been away for 10 days and when I tried to start my 08 reg 159 diesel 1.9, it turned over but would not start. The dashboard lit up and stated 'Car Protection System' failure, then 'Alarm failure, and then 'Hill Holder not available' etc etc. The car then did start but all the 'failure' lights and beeps are continuing.

An Alfa mechanic told me the electronic systems have become confused because the car has been standing unused for 2 weeks and I need to completely discharge the battery and then recharge it to reset the security codes.

Anyone else had this problem? Is there an easier fix?

Ian S

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
This has been noted on the forum many times. Basically the electrics on the 159/Brera really, really don't like a low battery.
Those that have had all but identical problems to yours have stuck a new battery on, and the problems have gone.

So it sounds like a new battery is needed!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep. Gotta be new battery. Or take yours offline charge and pop back in. When you replace the battery don't forget to wait 3 mins before starting the ignition for the climate control to settle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for advice. I have now disconnected the terminals and got the battery on charge. Bloomin'
electronics, too clever for it's own good!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recall panicking thinking had bought right dodgy one when it wouldn't start and everything lit up and all the messages came up lol. New battery by the garage cured all though and now it works a treat apart from the boot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts