Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

I have a 2002 156 JTS, internal facelift model. I had the following problem today, and was wondering if anyone had any idea what the cause may be, or if anyone has had the same problem.

Whilst driving today I had some smoke appear from under the passanger side front wing. It looked like it was coming from behind the indicator repeater judging from where the smoke was coming from. There was none, or very very little smoke in the car. Obviously I stopped and switched off. As soon as I switched off the ignition the smoke stopped. When I switched back on, there was no more smoke. The car started and runs fine, but the indicators and hazzards do not work. Also, the computer in the car is showing that both Driver side doors are open, even though they are not.. The only other thing is that when I lock the doors, the reopen straight away. I assume this is because it thinks the doors are still open. Finally, when I lock the doors with the keyfob, the central locking works, but the "bleep" that is normally heard does not work.

I am fairly capable with cars, having been a car mechanic for a number of years, and will have a good look under the dash / inside the door / under the wing, and will obviously replace / repair any damage to wiring. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a headstart as to what might have caused it, or is it a known Alfa problem.

Any clues would be very gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Chaffed wire, shorting to chassis or another load carrier...gets hot, cheap wire insulation smolders, maybe a fuse blows maybe it doesn't. Shorted electrical signal path now confuses the CANBAN and your door interlocks don't work properly...and maybe a few other things that you haven't noticed yet.

Fix wiring to indicators/hazzards first. Then switch on to test circuit, watching for fresh smoldering...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have taken off the undershield from under the LHF wing and found the problem. The wiring connector going into the alarm siren unit had shorted out. One of the two connectors going into the alarm siren unit was completely melted. It is very difficult to say if the fault was in the connector or in the alarm unit. The wiring is fine from about 5 cms back from the connector and the casing of the alarm unit is bubbled and blistered, so I would suspect it was an alarm unit fault. Anyway, once I disconnected the unit (By cuttung the connectors off!), and replaced the fuse to the indicators, all is working fine. Indicators, hazzards and door locking all working fine.

Now I just need to find a replacement alarm unit, and two connectors!!! The alarm unit part number is 60673363. If anyone has any idea where I might get a cheap second hand unit, I would be grateful if you could let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts