Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ive just yesterday had a problem which occured on a motorway at around cruise speed of 80-90mph, driving along and all of a sudden ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT pops up and ive lost all power. Since then till now the light is still on. When i take of it feels as there is no power and all of a sudden it picks up a little but early revs there is no pull. Its not Spark plugs though. Not only that does any1 experience a squijjy noise coming from the front driver side shocks when the car is cold and then it goes away after warmed up??? Any1 have the cure for these 2 problems please help

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
First fault sounds like a throttle error. Its a flybywire throttle and the sensor can play up, causing these errors. The way the power is then delivered is commonly described like 'turbo lag'..

As for squeaky suspension, it'll be the bushes, either in the top wishbone arm or lower wishbone arm probably.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
When that light comes on the engine goes into 'safe mode' with very reduced power at low rpm

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds exactly the same as my throttle problem. Disconnect the throttle and give the connectors a spray with contact cleaner, also under the passenger side of dashboard there is a connector to the position sensor on the pedal which apparently fails and causes that problem.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
...also, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then do the throttle reset sequence (turn ignition key on but don't start engine, leave for 90-120 seconds, turn off again).
It is amazing what a battery disconnect can do :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive had a few people say its the air flow meter. Ive lost power in early revs and high revs it doesnt pull then all of a sudden i get a kick followed by a powerloss. The light does go away on its own will for few minutes sumtimes then comes back. I hope it is the throttle thing coz airflow meter is a cost... i have opened the airflow meter to check weva the mesh is fine and it was because a similar problem occured on my 300zx and i took all the mesh off which had a whole in it and problem was solved so that did seem fine. so how do i go about this throttle thing I may try it now although its quite late would there be like an instruction thing online for it like a step by step?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First fault sounds like a throttle error. Its a flybywire throttle and the sensor can play up, causing these errors. The way the power is then delivered is commonly described like 'turbo lag'..

As for squeaky suspension, it'll be the bushes, either in the top wishbone arm or lower wishbone arm probably.
Ive had a few people say its the air flow meter. Ive lost power in early revs and high revs it doesnt pull then all of a sudden i get a kick followed by a powerloss. The light does go away on its own will for few minutes sumtimes then comes back. I hope it is the throttle thing coz airflow meter is a cost... i have opened the airflow meter to check weva the mesh is fine and it was because a similar problem occured on my 300zx and i took all the mesh off which had a whole in it and problem was solved so that did seem fine. so how do i go about this throttle thing I may try it now although its quite late would there be like an instruction thing online for it like a step by step?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx Chris & Pud, Im trying the throttle reset now infact im in the car with my laptop. I havent disconnected the battery, but did start it first to see weva the engine management light was on and it was. so far im on the step of waiting 15mins on idle. the light has turned of but it may just pop back im not sure. but ive got another 7-8mins to go. then ill take it for a spin and see weva it comes bk. If it does ill try it again but disconnecting the battery first. Thanx guys appreciated

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds exactly the same as my throttle problem. Disconnect the throttle and give the connectors a spray with contact cleaner, also under the passenger side of dashboard there is a connector to the position sensor on the pedal which apparently fails and causes that problem.
Just trying the throttle reset procedure I'll see if that works and is the case if not that will be my next step most likely I think I have resolved the problem I will have to test it on a long drive to work 2mrw morning and see if it has permanently been fixed. Amazing engine sound & decent power, well enough to do type r's and gti's as I have been doing or maybe its me as a driver (lol) so kinda miss takin her on the road for some pleasurefull driving. Ill see how she runs 2mrw

·
Registered
455 Posts
i had same problem and i found it to be the connector under the dash by the passenger footwell. its the cable from the throttle pedal.

It threw up loads of different fault codes. i simply took apart and put together again and has not played up since.

its just up under behind the glovebox :) its easy to find as its one wire all on its own with a white connector block (if i remember rightly).
just unplug and replug the block :) spray some wd40, maybe move the pins about for better contact. job done :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had same problem and i found it to be the connector under the dash by the passenger footwell. its the cable from the throttle pedal.

It threw up loads of different fault codes. i simply took apart and put together again and has not played up since.

its just up under behind the glovebox :) its easy to find as its one wire all on its own with a white connector block (if i remember rightly).
just unplug and replug the block :) spray some wd40, maybe move the pins about for better contact. job done :D
Fantastic top man, ill have a go at that If the throttle reset doesnt work so ill feed bk on that on forum 2mrw so any1 in future has that problem we'll know exactly for sure what the case is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys the problem is not solved the light comes on and goes away if the car is running on idle for few minutes. so the reset hasnt worked, any suggestions?

·
Registered
455 Posts
where abouts are you. maybe a member near you as alfa diag and can help you find the codes :)

did you find the connector block under by the glovebox???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
where abouts are you. maybe a member near you as alfa diag and can help you find the codes :)

did you find the connector block under by the glovebox???
No where abouts is it, is it under the glovebox do i need to pull the carpet bit of from under the dash? do i need any tools? Im located Manchester (Oldham) just of the M60 juction 22 is 3-4mins away. Today it has got to the point that on stand still if I press the accelerator nothing happens but slowly the Idle would start revin out of nowhere. But by doing the reset task when car is on standstill for few minutes everything goes bk to normal then u drive n after few miles lights bk on n power is gone, starts pushing n stoping like turbo lag

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
It could be the throttle pot as well. A code read would make this so much easier for you.
I had the exact same problem with min very occasionally, usually if I had crashed through a pothole and given the car a real bang. Always came back ok though so the connectors for the accelerator sound a reasonable guess at where to look. Get in the footwell and disconnect wiggle/clean and reconnect all of the throttle connectors, then do the same for the one under the glovebox. Fingers crossed !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could be the throttle pot as well. A code read would make this so much easier for you.
I had the exact same problem with min very occasionally, usually if I had crashed through a pothole and given the car a real bang. Always came back ok though so the connectors for the accelerator sound a reasonable guess at where to look. Get in the footwell and disconnect wiggle/clean and reconnect all of the throttle connectors, then do the same for the one under the glovebox. Fingers crossed !
Yeh I found that da case, potholes and high throttle pressure. its raining pretty bad so hopefully if its dry 2mrw im gna start messin wiv it so I basically need to get behind the throttle and do the passenger side connectors

·
Registered
268 Posts
Get the codes read! you will save yourself so much time and agro by doing that first! what year is your car? if it is after about 2002 you can have it read by any EOBD2 compliant diagnostic tool, most garages have that as a bare minimum now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
mine was like it. it felt like u could only press the throttle a little bit then if you pressed it too much it would go back to lag mode where there was a delay of around 2 secs before it picked up.

Yes under the glove box is a small bit of carpet.
Pm me your mobile and ill talk you thro it :)

I am not saying it will fix it. but the symptoms were exactly like mine and this fixed mine and touch wood I have had no trouble with it since!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts