Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok then, I went out yesterday morning and went to open the passengers door.

Door handle totally broke off in my hand, both ends snapped.

Looking for a quick and cheap fix if there is such a thing with an Alfa, as already spent £300 on it so far this week:mad:.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Second hand one from a breakers would probably be best. The door card has to be removed and you'll see a 10 mm nut holding the front of the handle in place, take that off and the torx screw at the rear of the door, there are two, its the lower one. Handle then has to be disconnected from the links to the lock and catch - tricky! The lock in the handle is kept in place with a wire clip that pulls out from underneath. It is all rather more awkward than anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks armoore

How do you get the metal part off the door, the part furtherest away from the barrel end, from the outside it looks like it is held in place by a rivet, or is it a nut on the inside.

Can get a second hand one but it is rather scrapped so can you take the fittings off and use the outside chrome bit off the one I have?

Also do you have to remove the barrel aswell?

Sorry for all the questions but totally clueless about this

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 10mm nut holds the forward bit on. If you have a 10mm ratchet this works well- fiddly as the man said. Unclip both rods at the bottom where they meet the door lock mech- there is a sort of catch which clips off and turns round so releasing the rod. Unfortunately, if both ends broke, you can't replace just the handle bit, and although they look the same, you can't use a GT handle on a 147 or vice versa. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
The barrel of the lock is held in by the wire clip which is removed from the underside if the handle, you'll need this unless you're going to use two keys! Or not be able to unlock that door from the outside.. As johnnym says the clips are a bugg.r. I thought the handle was lacquered aluminium.

·
Registered
30 Posts
£50 from Autolusso ...... takes about 30mins to change. Look on Ebay they have a shop there or just give them a call and speak with Dan 01525221921.

cheaper than the £130 the dealers want.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The barrel of the lock is held in by the wire clip which is removed from the underside if the handle, you'll need this unless you're going to use two keys! Or not be able to unlock that door from the outside.. As johnnym says the clips are a bugg.r. I thought the handle was lacquered aluminium.
The 147 handles are mostly chrome; GT are laquered aluminium. Maybe later 147 went ally too?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts