Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one help please,yesterday the heaters on my 147 were only blowing cold air when the setting was on high,the temp gauge went to nearly max after only tavelling 3 mile,checked water,was brimmed,any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds like classic head gasket symptoms i'm afraid :(

But try checking your radiator and thermostat, make sure the radiator isn't all bent up (fins) and test the thermostat by following the guide on this forum.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
More like classic waterpump failure unless you did only have water in the system instead of coolant and it has frozen...
For the heaters to remain cold when the engine is overheating there can't be any coolant circulating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks,so how would i know if its either the thermostat or water pump? im hoping its the thermostst but im thinking its more like the water pump

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
How long did it take you to drive those 3-miles before it over-heated?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10 mins,then i had to pull over to let it cool down,then turned rnd to come home,having to stop a further 3-4 times

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
For it to overheat in 10-minutes, it is unlikely to be the thermostat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in havnt topped anything up jim,not losing any fluids,the top hose on the thermostat is hot thye bottom is cold

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi its Possibly the waterpump, maybe its wheel has dropped off.But i would still be inclined to undo the rad bleed screw to see if water comes out.If you have had no water loss then its odd.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
in havnt topped anything up jim,not losing any fluids,the top hose on the thermostat is hot thye bottom is cold
When the engine is running, is there coolant flowing through the small pipe into the expansion tank?
You should be able to clearly see the coolant flow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no david no water is flowing into the expansion tank,but would this happen if the thermostat was closed??

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
no david no water is flowing into the expansion tank,but would this happen if the thermostat was closed??
Coolant should flow though that small pipe all the time the engine is running.
The thermostat just stops the flow to the radiator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nitemare,sounds like the water pump,big job as my variator needs changing,so the kit an everything else is guna cost a fortune,do you know if any special tool/tools are needed to do this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts