Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Chris. I have been an Alfa owner for 3 months now and love my 156 V6. Although I am a keen DIY-er my car is due it's first visit to a dealer tomorrow as I have an intermittent problem I have been unable to solve. I have for the second time now got a check engine light and very sluggish throttle response at low RPM. Once above about 2500 rpm it drives fine. This happened a couple of weeks ago and after checking all connections then changing the MAF sensor without success, it for no apparent reason "helaed up". The check engine light went out and it drove fine for a couple of weeks.

Now the problem has come back. Does anybody know of any DIY kit for reading fault codes?

Incidently, my freinds tell me I have the best job in the world - I am a test engineer for Aston Martin. I get to travel around the world testing our cars in all enviroments. A dirty job but someone has to do it!!:lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
welcome chris!! i"m chris too! nice car choice especially from a man who"s doing that kind of work! dont worry about the chek light. it"s not an engine problem. just chek the electrics "contacts" of the diagnotsic control car's system. happy, safe, and fast rides! y have a really nice job 4 living!!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hi! Chris, don't suppose you have come across a Ray Hanley at A.M's. think he had his sgnature on a block or two. Could of just been a rumour, anyway welcome to the Alfa maze.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Chris.

I suspect it is an electrical problem although all the connectors I have looked at seem to be in good condition. As nothing is particuarly easy to get at I figured it would be worth investing in a diagnostic check at the dealer so that I can get an idea which area to look at. Throttle pot is my guess but it looks like I need to take half the dash apart to get at it so best to make sure!:confused:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hello Chris and welcome.
There are several diagnostic kits mentioned on the site, eg from ebay. Basically a lead and some software for the PC. Personally, if you have interest/aptitude, I'd be inclined to get something a bit sophisticated.
I'd love to start timkering with the maping of 'our' (my wifes) Alfa. dont; think she'd approve!
I've been hoping for chance to get within AM for a long time. Only live ten minutes form Gaydon dammit!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, had the diagnostic today. As I suspected, it was the throttle pot. Not disastrous though, it was only the wiring. Apparently a common fault. The connector under the left hand side of the dash. the fix is to cut the connector out and solder the wires together.:rolleyes: Just moving the connector around fixed but I guess I will spend some of tomorrow upside down in the footwell!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a look on ebay and found some diagnostic kit. After a visit to the dealer the fault turned out to be due to a dodgy connector in the throttle pot wiring under the passenger side footwell. A common fault apparently - fixed by cutting the connector out and soldering the wires together.:rolleyes:

I will invest in diagnostic kit anyway as it appears compatible with my other car, a V6 Vauxhall Omega estate. Totally different to the Alfa but a usefull tool none the less:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts