Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just got an Alfa 33 so thought I would join up as it looks like there is a lot of help to be had on this website :) I have just started to strip the front end down to tidy things up and freshen up the engine bay with a new lick of paint. Will load up some pictures later.

I have a couple of questions already!

Does anyone on here know if I can replace the powersteering system on my 33 with a normal non power steering rack from an old Alfa sprint.

And also is it normal for the 33s to NOT have an antiroll bar, the old Sprint I had years ago had one so why doesn't my 33 :tut:

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Hi Boxerbeat and welcome to our litle world :)

Powersteering can be changed to a normal steering rack, however you might need to change the whole steering column inside the car as well.

I changed a standard steering rack to powersteering on a Series 2 Ti. Had to chop off some of the firewall of the Ti for the powersteering to go in. Also had to change steering arms as well ( thicker - bigger holes ).
So that can be done the other way round as well.

Now a friend of mine is putting the powersteering of a series 3 33 on his Sprint.
He had to change the complete steering column inside the car and fabricate new brackets for the steering wheel.

So my guess here is that it's possible to do so, you will be left with a bigger hole where the steering rack attaches to the column inside, and maybe you will also need a spacer fabricated from the column to the rack as the distance is about 5cm further .

Early 33's did not have antiroll bar. Which one do you have ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info :thumbs:

Off for the weekend now so will take out the rack tomorrow and compare it to my old sprint one .

The 33 is a series 3 1.3 but it may get a different engine ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like if I want to change to a normal rack I will have issues with the steering column.

It also looks like I will have issues if I decide to keep the power steering and use an older boxer engine as the older block does not have the mounting points drilled and tapped for the power steering pump bracket :cry:

Why is nothing with cars easy :(

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
dont remove powersteering mate, it works so well on 33's it would be a shame to take it off.

Try steering 17"x7" wheels without powersteering when car is stoped. Then you'll know what I'm talking about !!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have been looking at my steering racks columns and all the other bits and bobs.

Looks a little more complicated than I thought.

Does anyone know if there is a non power assisted steering rack from older 33s that will fit straight into a series 3 car without having to modify or change the steering column and bracket etc.

Also what happens if you use a power assisted rack but just fill it with fluid and seal up the pipe holes with bolts and copper washers? Do power steering racks seize if used this way :confused:

I found the steering light enough without the engine running which was surprising as usually power steering racks get heavier without assistance:confused: Not sure about MOT / NCT problems if you do this :rolleyes:

Just looking for the simplest and safest way to get rid of my power steering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts