Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we're thinking of getting a 147 or 156. Trying to be slightly sensible and getting a diesel. Looking at a 2004 147 1.9 Lusso with 88000 miles soon, asking £4000. Got up to £5000 to spend. Not sure if the 147 is big enough in the back for us, only the one lanky teenager to get in there but we tend to take the car on holidays and need a bit of luggage space too. Any tips, suggestions gratefully received. How good is reliabilty nowadays, and how expensive sevicing?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi,i`ve got a 156,and you could only swing a small kitten in the back,with a child`s car seat in there,my not so lanky teenager can get in the front,but when his 2 mates get in the back you do have the highly amusing sight of both of them with their heads to one side in the rear view mirror.boot suprisingly spacious on a 156,older alfa`s are easier to work on yourself,with a bit of knowledge around an engine area,garage pricing can be horrendous,some see an alfa and start talking telephone numbers,whatever you look at make sure you run it long enough to get hot,as some major problems only surface when engine is warm,and get it HPI checked,some real bargains around due to the economic climate,but younger owners tend to have driven their alfa hard,oil changes regularly are key to a long healthy car life,check that the car has had regular servicing,using genuine parts,whatever you buy,change the cambelt straight away,unless you can be in no doubt that it`s just been done.if you get the right alfa you will never own another make of car again,become the proud owner of mine at the `old` age of 38,the bonus is,your teenager will be happy to be seen in it,and their mates will be impressed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we're picking up a black 147 1,9 JTD Lusso on Thursday, not many around down in Kent, but tried a 156 and the 147 felt a lot nicer to drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts