Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
new to this forum and not yet an Alfa owner, however currently looking at Guilieta's for my wife Mandy, if anyone has any advice regarding what to look for or what to avoid I would greatly appreciate it. We currently have an Insignia estate, fiesta, MG Tf, and a Morris minor. The Alfa is intended to replace the fiesta and will be for long term ownership with long runs as well as local use so we are thinking of diesel rather than petrol (both moderns are diesel and have suited us well). many thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry you did say diesel apologies. Diesels are quite solid think only real problem is the egr valve gets blocked up. Common problems with the car in general main one is the wires in the rear hatch loom can break and therefore rear lights and wiper can act strange. Everyone says the 2.0jtdm is the one to go for with a good mix of power and economy.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If you have a diesel Insignia the engine is probably the same as you will find in a Giulietta. But I believe the Alfa has a little more power in D mode. The big difference I think is the handling, I like the heavier front end of the diesel engined cars, lots of people on here prefer the lighter front end petrol engines. Just depends on your wifes driving style and mileage, I've got a 170bhp 2.0jtdm and never get less than 35mpg even in Germany on the bahn! Budget about £500 a year for tyres and servicing and you should be good to go, my only advice is get the best car you can from someone on here if possible, most of us look after our cars and they will be in good working order.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi everyone,
new to this forum and not yet an Alfa owner, however currently looking at Guilieta's for my wife Mandy, if anyone has any advice regarding what to look for or what to avoid I would greatly appreciate it. We currently have an Insignia estate, fiesta, MG Tf, and a Morris minor. The Alfa is intended to replace the fiesta and will be for long term ownership with long runs as well as local use so we are thinking of diesel rather than petrol (both moderns are diesel and have suited us well). many thanks in advance for any help you can give us.
Good evening! The Giulietta is a lovely car, mine is a petrol 1.4 MA & it's super. If you want a Diesel go for the 2.0, happy motoring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the replies folks, the engine in the insignia is indeed the same engine as the alfa 2 litre albeit in a different state of tune, very economical in the siggy, I even got 56mpg from it loaded to the gunnels and towing a heavily laden trailer down to the limousin. pleased tohear that the handling is good as not driven a Guilietta yet, expected It to be better than the siggy as that's more of a long distance cruiser/workhorse. if we get one which I'm 95% sure we will, it will be used 2 or 3 times a year for the run to france as well as more local and medium distance trips.really pleased to hear that there are no real horror stories regarding reliability providing maintenance schedules are kept up, I know every car has its foibles, but if the driving experience is good who cares! hoping to get something around 2016 as its got to last a long time! many thanks again and I'll let you know how we get on. Oh by the way anyone have an opinion on the 1.6 diesel as there's one not too far from us with 22k on the clock, thought we might take a look .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry you did say diesel apologies. Diesels are quite solid think only real problem is the egr valve gets blocked up. Common problems with the car in general main one is the wires in the rear hatch loom can break and therefore rear lights and wiper can act strange. Everyone says the 2.0jtdm is the one to go for with a good mix of power and economy.

Hope that helps.
No need for apologies mate! just appreciate the help and amazed :thumbup:at the quick and friendly response's

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many thanks for the replies folks, the engine in the insignia is indeed the same engine as the alfa 2 litre albeit in a different state of tune, very economical in the siggy, I even got 56mpg from it loaded to the gunnels and towing a heavily laden trailer down to the limousin. pleased tohear that the handling is good as not driven a Guilietta yet, expected It to be better than the siggy as that's more of a long distance cruiser/workhorse. if we get one which I'm 95% sure we will, it will be used 2 or 3 times a year for the run to france as well as more local and medium distance trips.really pleased to hear that there are no real horror stories regarding reliability providing maintenance schedules are kept up, I know every car has its foibles, but if the driving experience is good who cares! hoping to get something around 2016 as its got to last a long time! many thanks again and I'll let you know how we get on. Oh by the way anyone have an opinion on the 1.6 diesel as there's one not too far from us with 22k on the clock, thought we might take a look .
The giulietta is very solid car I would say as you say keep on top of the important stuff and it'll look after you. I have a cloverleaf and it's stunning to drive and look at , I regularly get people taking a second look when driving past. You won't be disappointed with it.

With the 1.6 it depends which variant of engine as one is more powerful than the other. Some say the 105bhp is a bit underpowered. Depends though have a drive and see what you think.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I won't recommend the 1.6 diesel they are noisy and underpowered and ive had 2!!! 2.0 in 170bhp form is highly rated and when coupled with the TCT gearbox are a great car! Lusso trim is OK but Veloce trim or sportiva/nav is the trim you'd want

·
Registered
64 Posts
Literally just bought a Giulietta, as my first Alfa. Love it to bits already. Only thing I'd say is look for trim level. I went for Veloce with double sunroof, and am very grateful I did! I tried one without the sunroof and felt quite small and dark, with the black headlining, but sure some would love it. Personally I love cruising with the roof open 🙂

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check out Alfa Workshop aswell, they have a buyers guide for most models of Alfa listing most common faults and things to check for.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2.0 JTDM 140 Sportiva (Diesel), remapped to 180BHP.

It sounds great (admittedly it also has a full stainless cat back exhaust and an induction kit)
It goes like the absolute clappers
It drives and handles really well (mine is lowered on Eibachs)
It's quite a bit more torquey than the petrols (including the QV)
I get 55mpg combined, and that's with the majority of my driving being a short commute to/from work. The best I've had was 86.9mpg on a trip back to Worcester from Milton Keynes!
It looks fantastic - much nicer than the equivalent A3, Golf, Focus etc in my opinion.

Bad points:

The rear wiring looms on the earlier models are prone to breaking. The top and bottom of the loom housing were directly in line with each other which caused the wires to bend excessively, and eventually break. I believe Alfa sorted this in or around 2013 by repositioning the placement of the looms themselves, so that the top and bottom of the loom housing was offset, and the wires didn't fold back over each other whenever the hatch was closed. Mine is a 2013 and has the later arrangement - I'll post a couple of pictures up so that you can see my G, and the loom arrangement so you know what to look for - the position of the blanking plate in my photo is where the old loom arrangement would have been.

The paint is pretty 'fragile'. But that's not specific to the Giulietta, just Alfas in general - expect to see more than a few stonechips on the bonnet and possibly some road rash around the arches.

In my experience (2 x Giuliettas and a 159), they seem to be quite fussy on wheel alignment and tend to chew through tyres if they're not aligned properly. Easy solution though - just have a 4 wheel alignment done when you get the car (or ask the garage to do one if you're buying from a dealer).

Apart from that, there is nothing to look out for other than what you'd normally look at with any other used car.

Oh, and you'll love it!!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Fairly sure the blanking grommet in the picture is same as my mrs’ 2011, the position of loom was changed but still remained in same face of tailgate just further over if I recall correctly

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fairly sure the blanking grommet in the picture is same as my mrs’ 2011, the position of loom was changed but still remained in same face of tailgate just further over if I recall correctly
Ah ok, I'd just presumed that as mine was the later arrangement, the blanking grommet was the earlier arrangement.

Every day is a schoolday :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts