Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to Alfa in all respects.

Recently whilst looking for a new(ish) car, I was presented with a Glof, an A3 and a 147 all for the same price.

Basically, I went for the 147 because a friend recommended Alfa and I was suprised at how cheap they were (2nd hand). After a 4 minute test drive I had no idea wether it was a nice drive or not, but I loved the looks so I bought the car.

After driving a sales rep (Vauvhall) car for 3 years, I was very disappointed with the Alfa, and thought it was quite a lazy drive. That was until my friend looked at me in confusion and came out with me for a drive in the car.

After 2 mins, he pointed out my errors, I was revving very low and changing gear at 2500 - 3000 rpm. My friend recommended I revved up to 5000+ revs and drove the car a lot harder, and I instantly noticed the difference and gained a big grin from ear to ear!

I currently have a '51 reg 147 TS Lusso (3 door) 120bhp version. I am looking to add a sports exhaust and an air filter, though I must say I am very pleased with the car as it is.

I am starting to save up now either for a 147 GTA 3.2 or a SportsWagon GTA 3.2 - that will be a good few years still though so I am going to enjoy my 147 in the meantime.

Thanks for such a great source of information and maybe I will see some of you at an Alfa show in the near future.

Cheers

Matthew

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Hi Matthew, welcome on board! :)

And don't forget... let it rev! :cool:

P.S. any piccies of your Alfa? :)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO rugglez. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is absolute standard at the moment (except the currently dodgy stereo install.)

Here are some pix though.

Mods I want are:-

Sports Exhaust
Performance air filter
17" Phone Dial(?) wheels like below. (Though so far the only other style I like are the ones I already have) - These are from eBay but only 3 wheels available!

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
rugglez said:
17" Phone Dial(?) wheels like below. (Though so far the only other style I like are the ones I already have) - These are from eBay but only 3 wheels available!
The ones you have now are the Elegance and they look quite good in 16" if you ask me. But those GTA teledials... :cool: I hope you can find the 4th! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to risk it, I will wait and buy them all as a set. I do like the Elegance a lot, but the teledials just shout Alfa!

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Welcome. :D

And yes, Alfas (well, the petrol ones) need to live above 4,000 RPM, that's a fact. :D :cool:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Lol, thought this was gonna be a thread on programming!
Welcome Rugglez! I would suggest learning how to drive your car hard before doing the performance mods, revving the car higher would be a good start, lots of untapped performance there if you're only going up to 5k revs. No point doing mods if you're gonna continue driving at the same speed now is there, you simply won't appreciate them ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As if!

:D :D :D :D

$ emacs HelloWorld

clear
Hi="Hello World"
echo $Hi

$ chmod 700 HelloWorld
$ ./HelloWorld

:D :D :D :D

I couldn't agree more about learning to drive better, it is something I have wanted to do for some time, but how do I go about it? I have a beefed up Mini Mayfair that I would like to take to the track too, but I am not confident enough and I am told track days are not really a good place to learn.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Welcome to AO :)
You made the right choice of car, good luck with getting all the mods and those wheels :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
p17sut said:
Welcome to AO :)
You made the right choice of car, good luck with getting all the mods and those wheels :cool:
Thank you.

I am getting an air filter fitted next week - prima flow if I remember rightly. Was recommended it by my local Alfa garage.

Waiting for a bit before I get my exhaust/wheels now as personally my stereo is higher up the list at the moment. My wheels are growing on me too. I just need to keep them clean as that always makes me like them much more :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Hey Rugglez

I just fitted an Autodelta Induction Kit to my 120bhp 147 and I had a permanent grin on my face all afternoon. Cost £120 quid for an autodelta branded filter and a bit of pipe, when it came I was like 'is that it?'.

Fitting it was more tricky than I anticipated as I needed to take the front wheel off and the wheelarch liner. Took all the old bits out and fitted the new bits in about an hour and half. It's fair to say this small outlay has transformed my experience of the car. It sounds great and the power delivery is cleaner and more consistant all through the rev range in every gear.

I can't recommend it enough, just have to wait and see how much more fuel it eats now.

I plumbed for the 17" Supersport alloys, an internet dealer was doing a deal with Yoko's fitted for the price of the wheels from an Alfa dealer until recently.

Next step, a quick trip down the road to Zorstec for a nice custom SS System. I think i'll stop spending then... maybe... who knows?

:D

Sean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts