Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

While trying to reverse my lovely GTV out this morning, I backed quite spiritedly into a foot of snow, and when I got clear of it - I noticed my tailpipe in a position which can only be described as flaccid or droopy :eek:

I have damaged (perished) the small pipe between the tailpipe and last silencer. :cry:

I take it I just have to replace the final section, any idea on costs?
And should I go to dealer or indie or kwik-fit? :confused:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi guys

While trying to reverse my lovely GTV out this morning, I backed quite spiritedly into a foot of snow, and when I got clear of it - I noticed my tailpipe in a position which can only be described as flaccid or droopy :eek:

I have damaged (perished) the small pipe between the tailpipe and last silencer. :cry:

I take it I just have to replace the final section, any idea on costs?
And should I go to dealer or indie or kwik-fit? :confused:
I would rather eat my own face then use my local kwik-fit.

Not to say they are all that bad but they did manage to leave the lid off the airbox in my mates astra then slam the bonnet down while the oil filler cap to sat onto of the engine, smashing the cap and denting the bonnet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree, Kwick fit in general may be OK but steer well clear for exhausts, they are not that cheap and the tailpipes surface corrode very quickly. They do come with a three year garantee but not against that. (as I have found out) IMO it could be best to buy a system / box from ebay (there are some threads on here about a system a couple of chaps have recently bought) and get fitted by a local mechanic.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got costs... £151 delivered for a new one from buypartsby; but then still have to fit it :rant:
Will check autolusso for second hand one...

Will upload photos, but can't from behind work firewall...

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,391 Posts
hmmmm... i like the look of the OEM one; any ideas on costs from the dealers?
You can get a Standard one from eBay for anything between £90 and £120. I bought one late last year and it looked fine and apparently fitted well. I didn't fit it to my car as I wanted a new bit of pipe as well and decided to go the whole hog for a SS PF system.

A local member fitted the bit I sold him very quickly with no problems. If you look in the Classifieds on here I think you will still see the ad there with pictures, I think it was £95 delivered from a Factor in Southend.

Here's a Link to my ad so you can see the thing.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=906&cat=500

G

·
I put a cheap pattern part on and it fitted well. It is a very easy job to do yourself and they can be adjusted till they hang just where you want. The only problem is the chrome oval looks very cheap and nasty. The tail pipe is very obvious inside what looks like a flattened tin can with the ends taken out. I feel :( every time I walk past the back now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i checked ebspares, and they weren't the cheapest - for the same part with buypartsby, you save £31 which is almost 17% :cool:

Also I found this on eBay - which comes to £99 delivered :)

Any idea how long this would take to fit - then I can work out the cost for labour (usually £45/hour, no?)

G

·
I would rather eat my own face then use my local ####-##.

Not to say they are all that bad but they did manage to leave the lid off the airbox in my mates astra then slam the bonnet down while the oil filler cap to sat onto of the engine, smashing the cap and denting the bonnet.
I'd rather eat my own s### than go to my local branch again :lol:. I gave them so many opportunities to redeem themselves, and each time they screwed up! They fitted the wrong exhaust to one of my previous cars, and took weeks to get the correct one fitted. They also fitted a rattling exhaust on another one of my cars, and they couldn't even fix that! A while back they said my dampers needed replacing, and suggested I put the bill on one of their credit cards. I said no, got a second opinion, and the dampers were OK!! That saved me £400!

My local branch are terrible! Absolutely dreadful ... the franchise is an embarrassment to their head office, and the manager is a complete gob****e! :lol:

G

·
Any idea how long this would take to fit - then I can work out the cost for labour (usually £45/hour, no?)
Providing the nuts spin off ok about 15 - 20 mins, including driving on and off the ramp. About an hour if you have to jack it up yourself and struggle on your back.

They may charge in whole units though - e.g. 1/2 hour even if the job takes 15 mins.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Bugger !!!! .......... Shouldn't be too costly to sort.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a rear section, the two rear boxes for a ts, very good nick but you need the chrome bit for the end, you could go halfords for a chrome trim for the end though.
You can have it for £35 , I can take pics if you like :)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
£45/ hour to fit this part of the exhaust is a bit excessive imo. I would carry this work out myself but if I was to take it to someone it would be an apprentice mechanic or small tyre, battery and exhaust centre who seem to charge closer to £15/ 20 per hour around here

1 - 15 of 15 Posts