Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks

new here just sold my 280bhp 4x4 estate and thinking of getting an Alfa 156:cool:

Have read conflicting reviews of them concerning reliability, niggling elec problems and disinterested dealers, so would like to hear opinions from real owners with real world experiences - not journalists who may / may not have their own agendas!

I will be looking at 3 156s at the weekend; 2000 X 1.8TS 80K & leather, 2000 X 2.0 TS 100K & leather, 1999 V TS (dont know if its 1.8 or 2.0) but is only done 40K & has leather. All are sub £3K

so what should i look for when test driving?
how should it drive?
is there anything that goes wrong with them?
Edit: what sort of MPG should the 2.0 TS give?

and found this excellent buyers guide;
http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_156_buyers.shtml

thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Hi Recardo and welcome to AO :)

I don't have a 156, but there are plenty on here who should be able to help. May be worth posting something in the techie lounge. All I can say is when I got my GT I had some concerns too, but I'm completely hooked on Alfas now - wouldn't own anything else :D

·
Registered
24,525 Posts
Hi and welocome. Hopefully you'll get a 156 driver along anytime soon!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello, I had a 156 but sold it to buy a gt. love the gt but still miss the 156. 156 2.0ts gave me about 24mpg but I drove it fairly hard somtimes, gearbox is the only thing that gave me trouble but couldn't tell you what to listen for as I didn't notice anything wrong with mine until it went. saying that I loved it for 4 years and wouldn't change a thing. Highly recomended car

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO :) Good luck with the search :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
:) hello there and welcome. im new here myself. feeling very welcome already. I drive a 156 2.5 V6 and drives an absolute dream. well hooked to the 156! Check for upper wishbone noise coming from under the dash when driving. sounds like a creaking sound and seems to dissapear after a few miles. Not a massive expensive tho. if i remember i think i paid about 40 quid for the part. You wont regret a 156!!!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts