Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I've work out my mpg over the last few tanks
And am getting 25mpg and long jouneys too work ie Liverpool to roachdale and back,

More urban local driving am getting 13 now that can't be right !!!

Ive had the temp unit charged, I also have fiatecuscan
So can check things but unsure on what to look for ?? Any help grateful

Err spark haven't been charged I have been in the car for 2.6 years but bear mind car has been sat for 2.5 years unused,

I might do another service with spark plugs charged to see that helps,

Also there is no error codes and drive is pretty ok apart from the odd shudder +
It seems like the engine is strained but I don't know weather this Is normal
For this car, hard to discribe I'd say lol

But really any help or advice would be great thanks all :)

Stephen

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My spider did 28mpg compared to 40mpg (same journey) in the GT JTD. I think yours is a bit low.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
About the same as me in my 5.2 then :eek:

My guess would be at the lambda sensor but I would expect an error code to be logged.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Jesus I thought you had a V6 but it's only a twinny!

Exhaust for any leaks, ESP around the joints. Air filter been changed? Air flow sensor, any flat spots in the revs?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked the brakes, 13mpg is awful.
funny you mention that the was an error code on the brakes today, rear l & R ABS sensor, ummm not too sure what they are but brakes seem good,

My guess would be at the lambda sensor but I would expect an error code to be logged.[/QUOTE] yeah i was learning to that but with no error code how could check i mean i read figures in fiatecuscan but i dont know what the right are supposed to be :confused::confused::confused: :lol::lol:

Jesus I thought you had a V6 but it's only a twinny!

Exhaust for any leaks, ESP around the joints. Air filter been changed? Air flow sensor, any flat spots in the revs?
funny you said this as on way back home a fellow motorist beep and told there was something hanging down from underneath, i got down and notice it was one of the support brackets holding the exhaust was lose and off, nice passer by who happend to be a mercanic, pop down and had a look too and stated my exhaust was quite rusted and he would be surprise if it last more than 2 years its deffo on way out, :wow::wow::vomit: more cash :p

air flither has been charged and as air flow sensor ??? what is it and is it possiable to check too if its working ???

and big thanks to all you guys in helping :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

its great this fotum :)

Ste

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah at those mpg I would have expected ECU to report it can't adjust the mix any richer or something.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
That bracket always breaks on the 156 - its nothing to do with your problem. I can't imagine any fault that would cause it to use so much petrol - I suspect your maths :)

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
That bracket always breaks on the 156
Just use a "U" clamp to hold the flat part of the bracket to the pipe .. looks like it should be like that and I had one for 5 years and no problem with the MOT.

What year is the car? Makes a different to number of lambda sensors, etc.

What's the idle speed like? Around 850-900 when warm? Steady, wobbly?

How to test the maf? Disconnect it .. if it revs up the range better, the maf is dying. Doesn't throw a fault usually until it's dead. Or it could be the wrong type (or non-Bosch)

The Lambda could also be a non-Bosch and they can do odd things to the ECU signals .. I had an NTK for a few years, and since swapping to bosch, MPG has been better .. but it was never as bad as yours ... except when I drove it hard!

plugs should be NGK Platinums. Life of 60000 miles or around 5 years.

What interface cable are you using with FES? VAGCOM or ELM327?

·
Registered
64 Posts
You said that the car had been stood for 2.5 years, is the fuel so old? Might not be up to snuff? Might be worth checking the fuel filter too?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Gt was returning some pretty awful mileage and very lacklustre performance, engine wasn't having any 'go' or 'oomph' above 3500 RPM, supposed to be revvy engines I was told....

New spark plugs, change of oil, new filters all round... and.... WHOOSH! can't say lieage has improved but haven't done a long motorway cruise yet. What I can say is power and acceleration is very smooth and much improved.

Air filter was the biggest improvement... I also gave the MAF a bit of a clean.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That bracket always breaks on the 156 - its nothing to do with your problem. I can't imagine any fault that would cause it to use so much petrol - I suspect your maths :)
I agreed, its quite rusty the car is a bit weathered, as it was left on drive way for 2.5 years yikes!!!

Just use a "U" clamp to hold the flat part of the bracket to the pipe .. looks like it should be like that and I had one for 5 years and no problem with the MOT.
I’ve still got the old part, but too be honest once I’ve got the cash I look at a new exhaust cash!!:rant::rant::lol:

What year is the car? Makes a different to number of lambda sensors, etc.
2001 I think its 3 sensors but don’t count me on that am still learning about

What's the idle speed like? Around 850-900 when warm? Steady, wobbly?
id say steady, but like I said there is the occasionally like shudder-er (hard to describe lol)

How to test the maf? Disconnect it .. if it revs up the range better, the maf is dying. Doesn't throw a fault usually until it's dead. Or it could be the wrong type (or non-Bosch)
I will have a look at this, am newbie when it comes to engine stuff but it should be easy to at least disconnect, incidental the chap form angel-tuning on the phone was saying check air flow sensor ???

The Lambda could also be a non-Bosch and they can do odd things to the ECU signals .. I had an NTK for a few years, and since swapping to bosch, MPG has been better .. but it was never as bad as yours ... except when I drove it hard!
The car has been in friends family since 2004, not much work has been needed over years apart standard wear and tear and the engine re-build

plugs should be NGK Platinums. Life of 60000 miles or around 5 years.:thumbs::thumbs:

What interface cable are you using with FES? VAGCOM or ELM327?[/QUOTE]

am using fes, I did a full ecu reset a few weeks back and car run best ever for about 2 miles made a shouldn't jolt (seemed like like of air) and they went to back the way it is driving now,
which I say is not bad but I think a lot of pressure is put on engine and it sounds like it struggling,

How are you working it out?
from light till next light on the fuel, and measuring mileage via car, I think this week

You said that the car had been stood for 2.5 years, is the fuel so old? Might not be up to snuff? Might be worth checking the fuel filter too?
yeah its had full service (excluding spark plugs) I have been driving the car for about 4/5 weeks now its getting better I must say just a few more bits :cry::cry::cry:

My Gt was returning some pretty awful mileage and very lacklustre performance, engine wasn't having any 'go' or 'oomph' above 3500 RPM, supposed to be revvy engines I was told....

New spark plugs, change of oil, new filters all round... and.... WHOOSH! can't say lieage has improved but haven't done a long motorway cruise yet. What I can say is power and acceleration is very smooth and much improved.

Air filter was the biggest improvement... I also gave the MAF a bit of a clean.
I was thinking spark plugs and another oil changed (bit better oil) I have also used redex, but spark plugs are not cheap on these :p not good for the student :)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Are you sure the brakes aren't siezed? Sat for 2.5 years - I'd be checking them. Go for a run to get everything nice and hot, then jack up each wheel and check they spin freely (handbrake off obviously)

·
Registered
450 Posts
What's the engine temp in FES? Check the precat lambda voltage, it should fluctuate around 0-0.9Volts several times/second on a hot engine. A faulty lambda signal will NOT generate a fault code (at least on the CF2)

Get a fuel pressure gauge and connect to the fuel rail to diagnose a leaking injector.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Never mind the mpg... I'd change the cam-belt first. :eek:

Did you say you changed the thermostat? The beast should warm up to about 82-86C when driving normally... anything around 70C when moving freely means the 'stat is shagged.

The brakes may be binding but you would surely notice as the car would feel very sluggish and you could stop on slopes without needing the handbrake. Nevertheless, check that each wheel (rears in particular) go round freely.

Spark plugs... Take one or two out and see what they look like. If they're anywhere near new, they'll be okay. Even if they're a bit old, they'll still be okay. If the beast was idling lumpy then plugs might be a cause but it sounds like it's running "okay" so the plugs work.

Lambada would be my favourite. Did you MoT it yet? If the emissions are off and the idle is lumpy, especially as the car starts to warm up, then lambo' is the culprit.

Redex should clear out any gum in the injectors.. but buy a bottle of Turpentine substitute (not White Spirit) from B&Q and use 200ml of that in every full tank.. that'll keep the gum/varnish on its toes.

Change the oil and the filter just because the old stuff will be full of condensation, even if it was quite new.

Nobody suggested looking at the air cleaner. Use a new filter.. you could have a bird's nest or something in there and really the beast needs clear sinuses to give you proper mpg. While you're in there, clear out any leaves and poo from the inlet manifold and spray some electrical contact cleaner on the little MAF sensor probe.. don't touch it with anything or it'll snap off.. :)

Change the cam-belt and tensioner.. since they're a bit tempramental even when they're new, never mind after being woken up after a 2.5 years kip outdoors..

Put new benzina in there, since it won't help if your old benzina has turned to paraffin..

I think the beast ought to recover in the next few 100 miles.. as all the existing components (if they're still working) burn off the accumulated crud, loosen up generally and get all jiggy again..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had a 1.6 SW doing 18 mpg a few years ago!!! 2 new lambda sensors sorted it (wasn't sure which one had failed so changed them both).

That car didn't show any error codes or dash lights. MPG went to 28-29 straight after the new lambdas were fitted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

Are you sure the brakes aren't siezed? Sat for 2.5 years - I'd be checking them. Go for a run to get everything nice and hot, then jack up each wheel and check they spin freely (handbrake off obviously)
I shall get my mercanic to give brakes a check over, good point! the car has been braking fine for the 6 weeks I’ve been driving her :inlove::

What's the engine temp in FES? Check the precat lambda voltage, it should fluctuate around 0-0.9Volts several times/second on a hot engine. A faulty lambda signal will NOT generate a fault code (at least on the CF2)

Get a fuel pressure gauge and connect to the fuel rail to diagnose a leaking injector.
I shall certainly check the voltage levels when I get home tonight. I havet
got a clue how to do that test :(

Never mind the mpg... I'd change the cam-belt first. :eek:

Did you say you changed the thermostat? The beast should warm up to about 82-86C when driving normally... anything around 70C when moving freely means the 'stat is shagged.
yes the thermostat has been charged, its actually working properly now...although it does take a few mins to warm up in this cold weather but I presume that’s normal :confused::confused:

The brakes may be binding but you would surely notice as the car would feel very sluggish and you could stop on slopes without needing the handbrake. Nevertheless, check that each wheel (rears in particular) go round freely.
It appears to be fine, but I will get the mercanic to check, as ive never done anything to with wheels before,(novice) I have just found one of my tyres is only on 2ml so that will deffo be get changed and I shall also get tracking done as I presume that’s off aswell.

As for brakes + timing belt was changed, all new discs and pads.
This was 2.6 years ago and I know the car has sat the for 2.5 years I presumed they may need cleaning and maybe brake fluid changed ???

Spark plugs... Take one or two out and see what they look like. If they're anywhere near new, they'll be okay. Even if they're a bit old, they'll still be okay. If the beast was idling lumpy then plugs might be a cause but it sounds like it's running "okay" so the plugs work.
yeah mechanic look at this when full service was done and said they were perfect :)

Lambada would be my favourite. Did you MoT it yet? If the emissions are off and the idle is lumpy, especially as the car starts to warm up, then lambo' is the culprit.
yes its had a full mot, there were errors I.E parking brake, ( still to be fixed) 3 tyres, ~( which were all replaced) and lights on the back of car ( were all rewired)

It did say oil leak on mot sheet but the centre that did the mot check didn’t mention this too me so I presume it had been checked ??? Think idle appears fine sits just below the 1k mark :confused:

Redex should clear out any gum in the injectors.. but buy a bottle of Turpentine substitute (not White Spirit) from B&Q and use 200ml of that in every full tank.. that'll keep the gum/varnish on its toes.
ohhh I deffo be down B&Q tonight and get some of this :thumbs::thumbs:

Change the oil and the filter just because the old stuff will be full of condensation, even if it was quite new.
Yeah I was thinking of full oil charged again, even though its only been a month I feel the car would need it as its missed a few services like lol

Nobody suggested looking at the air cleaner. Use a new filter.. you could have a bird's nest or something in there and really the beast needs clear sinuses to give you proper mpg. While you're in there, clear out any leaves and poo from the inlet manifold and spray some electrical contact cleaner on the little MAF sensor probe.. don't touch it with anything or it'll snap off.. :)
Do you mean pollen filter ??? if so, yes I charged this works great once I got the heating sorted via a reset on fiatecuscan, do you know of any gudies for cleaing the maf ?? I certianly look into that thanks

Change the cam-belt and tensioner.. since they're a bit tempramental even when they're new, never mind after being woken up after a 2.5 years kip outdoors..
I know this is on the list but being a nursing student money is tight but car is more important than food as they say :p deffo on the list to do and should be number one!!! nearly payment time :rant::cry:

Put new benzina in there, since it won't help if your old benzina has turned to paraffin..
sorry havent got a jar of glue what you mean ???

I think the beast ought to recover in the next few 100 miles.. as all the existing components (if they're still working) burn off the accumulated crud, loosen up generally and get all jiggy again..
Id say ive now driven her for about 350mls mix motorway and urban, us student nurses do get around you know lol

Ralf S.[/QUOTE]

I had a 1.6 SW doing 18 mpg a few years ago!!! 2 new lambda sensors sorted it (wasn't sure which one had failed so changed them both).

That car didn't show any error codes or dash lights. MPG went to 28-29 straight after the new lambdas were fitted.
I deffo look into that, any idea how much they cost and is it easy to do or should get mechanic to do it ???

It could be a fuel leak.
I have just had my exhaust checked over via kwikfit and they said its fine a bit rusty but working and the emission were all in line, but has we all no this is quick fit lol

Sorry for late reply been hard at work, and thank you for all your help I will check these points and get back for with updates

cheers your all stars in my eyes :thumbs::thumbs:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts