Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I am a first time Alfa owner and just purchased myself an Alfa 156. Got a bit of a bargain I hope 156 2.4 JTD 2001 on a 'Y' plate. I will be posting another post very shortly seeking some advise.

I hope to speak to as many members as possible over the coming months. I also hope to see some of you at Yorkshire meets as and when there is any.

Chris.
YorkChap.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm a York chap too (well, near Sheriff Hutton). I'll look out for you when I'm stuck on the ring road in the morning!

·
Registered
183 Posts
First time owner here as well .Live in Bulmer with red Mito and the Wife and the retired greyhound as well !

·
Registered
12,810 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.......plenty of help and advice in the tech lounge.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oops.Saw blue 156 on road between Strensall and Sheriff Hutton yesterday (Saturday) 11.00ish big wave from driver and I missed wave back!I will practice quicker reaction wave techniques !

·
Vendor
46,432 Posts
Oops.Saw blue 156 on road between Strensall and Sheriff Hutton yesterday (Saturday) 11.00ish big wave from driver and I missed wave back!I will practice quicker reaction wave techniques !
I know that road like the back of my hand - used to love going out past midnight in the old 3 litre and seeing how fast I could get from the bridge next to the Ship to the park in Sheriff.. :cool: :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agree, but going the other way one of the bends has a strange radius and can catch the unwary out...and I saw the results a few years ago with a car through the hedge and way into the field.Everyone ok tho' if a little shaken and stirred

·
Vendor
46,432 Posts
Agree, but going the other way one of the bends has a strange radius and can catch the unwary out...and I saw the results a few years ago with a car through the hedge and way into the field.Everyone ok tho' if a little shaken and stirred
Which bend are you referring to? The worst one for me was always where you pass the York City boundaries and head into Ryedale, its on a bit of a bend, hardly looks like anything on the map - the road surface changes as well - God knows what speed I was doing but I remember nearly understeering off the road and into the fields there in my old 10v 156.. Happy days :lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Which bend are you referring to? The worst one for me was always where you pass the York City boundaries and head into Ryedale, its on a bit of a bend, hardly looks like anything on the map - the road surface changes as well - God knows what speed I was doing but I remember nearly understeering off the road and into the fields there in my old 10v 156.. Happy days :lol:
Where was it up york way that you ended up on a grass verge?

·
Vendor
46,432 Posts
Where was it up york way that you ended up on a grass verge?
Yeah, not that road though. It was on the back roads between Terrington and Castle Howard, first night after I got the Q2 diff fitted, taking a mate out to show him how much better the car drove :lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes the bend just after the tannery heading towards Sherrif Hutton. The road between \Terington and Castle Howard is as good as any to test a car.I used to commute it ina Mk2 Golf Gti...happy memories

·
Vendor
46,432 Posts
Yes the bend just after the tannery heading towards Sherrif Hutton. The road between \Terington and Castle Howard is as good as any to test a car.I used to commute it ina Mk2 Golf Gti...happy memories
I bet - that downhill bit coming through the forest is pretty mental if you have a bit of speed on. :thumbs:

First time I got back on that road after fixing the car and swapping the suspension to FSDs & Eibach springs I encountered a young lad in a Corsa with a 2.0 red top engine in it on carbs or ITBs. Popped flames out on every gearchange, and it was proper rapid. Looked totally standard except a little lower and the bigger exhaust pipe. :cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thing is the Mk2 Gti had a lovely blend of handling and not too much grip.Great fun to **** the rear wheel when you trying hard. Problem with modern hot hatches is they have so much grip and when the fun (!) starts you are going seriously fast

·
Vendor
46,432 Posts
I know what you're saying - I think a lot might be down to most cars having bigger wheels and wider tyres these days. My missus's Puma is a proper grippy little thing, but its only 120 horsepower and still has 195 tyres on it! They're only 30mm narrower than a GTA!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know that road like the back of my hand - used to love going out past midnight in the old 3 litre and seeing how fast I could get from the bridge next to the Ship to the park in Sheriff.. :cool: :D
So do I! the wife is a Sheriff Hutton girl! The bend after the straight at Piggotts is the worst as it is more than a tad bumpy and off camber, but the have resurfaced the next few bends with lovely new tarmac! Her parents still live there and we go most weekends for a pint in the castle (Sam Smiths @ £1.74/pint for Alpine lager!!)... The Dad In Law gave me the confidence to get the 156 as he is Alfa through and through, even having a 1967 Duetto Spider along with loads of others over the years, including a 147JTD and GTV (1997 2.0TS)... the mother in law is very understanding having no spare grass for the Alfa's on it!... does look impressive when his 3 are there and I get mine oon the drive as well!!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Was it the same blue as my avatar?!! Fantasy Blue!?... If so then almost definately me as I have yet to see anither one my colour, especially a Veloce with Cream leather!

I normally go down the A64 and through Flaxton to Sheriff as we come from Riccall, but the A64 is a night mare, so tend to drop off throgh Strensall if we have not already come off the A64 at the A1079 interchange and gone through the back roads via sand Hutton and that way!

I do enjoy that road!!! Well, all roads in the 156 if I am honest!!

:cool::lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts