Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
HI - quick answers to quick question
Singha - Yes

Badges - not in Chiang Mai. But we are 700k from Bangkok (The Big Mango) and it may be possible there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Spydercris said:
Hi.
Another reason I like Thailand so much and might live there one day.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/aogallery/showphoto.php/photo/1186/cat/500/ppuser/14070/sortby/f/sorttime/9999/way/desc
Do you know anything about importing cars to Thailand......?
ChockDee.
Yes, you have very good reason for liking the LOS and your Thai should be a lot better than mine!
I know enough about importing cars to want to discourage you.
Currently Royal Thai Customs are not allowing any S/H vehicle more than 2/3 years old into the country at all. Those they do allow are charged EXTREMELY HIGH rates of duty. Think 2-300% more than Their valuation of the car, they are interested in Your valuation, or the price you actually paid.
They want you to PROVE you have owned and used the vehicle for at least one year before importation. Reg Docs, service records, petrol receipts, the more of this sort of thing you produce, the more they will ask for.
You must make application and receive written permission before exporting the vehicle from it's current location - this process can be lengthy.
And that's just for starters!
Of course, this being Thailand there are several experts who will show you how to get around these niggling details - as a result of which RTC have auctions 3 or 4 times a year which are frequently a full day or more packed with cars where the "experts" slipped up.
The most obvious way is even if you get it past customs and into the country there is No Way you can get a tambian (registration book) for the motor and eventuall you will get picked up - there is no time limit, even if you've had the car here for years it still shouldn't be here and it will be seized.
Would you like to know more?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Klimaka said:
Yes, you have very good reason for liking the LOS and your Thai should be a lot better than mine!
I know enough about importing cars to want to discourage you.
Currently Royal Thai Customs are not allowing any S/H vehicle more than 2/3 years old into the country at all. Those they do allow are charged EXTREMELY HIGH rates of duty. Think 2-300% more than Their valuation of the car, they are interested in Your valuation, or the price you actually paid.
They want you to PROVE you have owned and used the vehicle for at least one year before importation. Reg Docs, service records, petrol receipts, the more of this sort of thing you produce, the more they will ask for.
You must make application and receive written permission before exporting the vehicle from it's current location - this process can be lengthy.
And that's just for starters!
Of course, this being Thailand there are several experts who will show you how to get around these niggling details - as a result of which RTC have auctions 3 or 4 times a year which are frequently a full day or more packed with cars where the "experts" slipped up.
The most obvious way is even if you get it past customs and into the country there is No Way you can get a tambian (registration book) for the motor and eventuall you will get picked up - there is no time limit, even if you've had the car here for years it still shouldn't be here and it will be seized.
Would you like to know more?
SORRY the ref to valuations should read:-
"They are NOT interested in your valuation, or the price you actually paid.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for that. Thought it might be difficult. Ho hum, there goes my wifes idea of taking the 156 to Khorat to use when we go over there.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers, Cris.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi there Klimaka.
Have you lost interest in AO... Haven't seen you around for a while.
Hope everything is ok over there in Smilingland.
Cheers, Me and Spyder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not so much forgotten - but pushed to the back of what remains of my mind.
1750 is at the workshop having the last of it's mechanical "fixes" prior to a mini car show this Saturday morning. After that it's off to the body shop for an "everything off and out bare metal rebuild followed by a good anti-rust treatment and a paint job to return the car to it's factory finish in Biancospino.
(Car was presold in Bankok to a guy who wanted Rosso - so as soon as she came off the ship the dealer did a respray and the car has been registered as Daeng for 37 years.)
The mini car show is to celbrate the formation of a classic car enthusiasts group to be called "Classic Cars of Lanna" this being an old name for N Thailand.
I have been heavily involved in this, we have elections tomorrow night for a committee and I am operating as Acting Secretary; the name for this person in Thai is -
poor sod who does all the work and gets all the blame.
We have also taken up golf again so most mornings are at the driving range, in addition we have 4 young dogs staying alongside the 28 we have of our own! the 4 are related to 2 of our own dogs, all of them very tiny and like to come on holiday and stay with us.
For a man in his dotage that's quite enough to be going on with.
Rex

21 - 26 of 26 Posts