Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this site today and have enjoyed browsing the threads etc.
My wife and I live in Northern Thailand where we have a pleasant house & pool and as pets have a number of dogs, an Aviary and Koi pond.
Our Daily Drivers are an Izusu Grand Adventure (bet you don't see many of those on UK roads) and a Jeep Cherokee.
Recently I bought a 1969 GTV 1750 and like many other classic car buffs here have started scouring the web for parts.
I'm delighted to find how easy it is to get most bits. The real stumbling block seems to be finding a replacement rev counter in which both the tach. and the oil pressure gauge work!
Fuel here works out at less then 40p a litre and right now everyone is concerned about the imminent withdrawal of 95 octane unleaded - most classics here seem to demand premium fuel.
Restoration is cheap - about 1 kilometre from my home we have a body shop that will do a baremetal repaint following repairs (including Wurth rustproofing for less than £1200, their work is to a Very high standard. However this is Thailand and it may take them 6-9 months to do it.
Let me know if you'd like to see pics of anything I've mentioned.
Klimaka

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :) We'd like pics of your Alfa :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi there to a beautiful country.
I've seen a few Alfas around Chaing Mai, especially a Duetto Spyder that I keep falling over, but never met her owner.
Where in Thailand are you? There is a garage that had a few Alfas in and I think it was on the road out of Chaing Mai in the direction of Chaing Rai, not too far out because I walked past it one time.
Good luck anyway, maybe meet you for a Singha next time I'm there in October.
Cheers.

PS, This link shows you what I get up to over there.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography-search-results.asp?st=0&qt=thailand+cris+haigh&lic=6&lic=1

·
Registered
5,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Klimaka said:
Let me know if you'd like to see pics
What do you think??Of course we want to see pics of your bella...just like asking the kids if they want cake:)

Spydercris said:
PS, This link shows you what I get up to over there.
WOW...nice pics in a nicer country!BTW,that's an interesting mix you have there,Budha statues and gorgeous girls,relogion and sex...:D
I'm thinking of going there this summer,but maybe it's not the place to visit with the wife.:eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take the wife Marius, it's a great place for families as well as single blokes. I know a lot of couples that have been, some with children, some without, and they have all had a great time. Super beaches, great food of ALL kinds, cheap, safe, beautiful scenery in the north, but best of all, the friendly people.
Can't recomend it enough! Guess I'm a bit biased though.
Go!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOOWWW>>>>>
Thx for the great welcome guys. It gives me heart to press on with my 1750 project.
It's good to know that some of you have trod the ground we walk on daily and know your way around. It's even better that you are recommending others to come, wives, kids and all.
To see those pics helped a lot - it reminded us of why we're here.
Moved to Thailand around 3 years ago from Cyprus and have never looked back.
I'll take that advice re listing my needs/wants on different forums, yesterday's was just a trial post I guess.
I hope the attached pics show a little of the car and house we're so proud of - if It get these loaded correctly I'lll try and send some more
Cheers
Rex

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi there.
Wow, the car looks great, house looks super. Are you far from Chaing Mai? Some day we might finish up living in Thailand, but not sure. It sure is tempting.....
Good luck with the everything.
Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
phil155 said:
how was my thai by the way?:D
Pretty Good - well, about my level I think!
I've got just enough to order a large beer - though my brew of choice is Chang or Blue Ice when I can afford it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spydercris said:
Hi there.
Wow, the car looks great, house looks super. Are you far from Chaing Mai? Some day we might finish up living in Thailand, but not sure. It sure is tempting.....
Good luck with the everything.
Cheers.
Hi, like many things in most parts of the world the car looks better than it is! This is why I know what a full strip down is going to cost.
Nearly all the metal is sound but it needs the rust protection treatmant and the paint finish is very rough so while we're at it I intend to return it to the colour it left the factory as - Biancospino.
This means I may as well replace all the rubbers and the headlining too.
Mechanicals are fine - in Town we have an AR factory trained mecho, difficult to discuss intricate problems with as he speaks only Thai & Italian but people bring cars from Bangkok an (700Ks) and the deep south for him to work on.
We live about 12 k south of CNX very easy to get into the city & airport , surrounded by countryside. Good Infrastructure medical etc - thriving expat community. Wouldn't live any where else.
Why are you not sure?

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
i liked the tiger:D :D and you can get it here:D :D

what about that whiskey:eek: :eek: samsong???? is it? cannot be deported as its claimed unfit for human consumption outside thailand:lol: :lol: i think it has speed in it:lol:

brought a few bottles home though;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tiger is a brew of Singapore origin produced in the LOS (Land of Smiles) under Licence.
The various "whiskies" produced here such as Mekong & Songsam are more akin to Rum really - so if you've got any left try adding Coke or Ginger Beer, with lots of Ice & Lime of course.
As far as I know no-one has died as a direct result of drinking it. However many of the wrinkled old blokes sitting drinking it at the road side kiosks are only between 25-30 so make your own mind up.
Come back and try it again!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts