Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I've been driving my 2.5 156 for 5 years now and it's just decided it would like to keep the airbag light on full-time.

I've been messing around with Unidiag for a couple of days (during which I found out that I also need an O2 sensor) and I've just got to the point where I've read that I need to modify my KKL cable to speak to the airbag magic box, and use KWP71 software to read it.

Since the MoT's run out now I've decided just to pony up for a replacement ACU and see if that fixes it but for the life of me I can't find a direct replacement for sale or which part numbers are interchangeable.

The ACU number is 60658009.

Oh, and I've tried unplugging and re-plugging the yellow cable under the seat (which I gather won't do much until you can speak to the ACU and reset it). Is there a corresponding one under the driver's seat (RHD) as I can't seem to find it...

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
First of all.
Do you actually have airbags in the seats? (side of the seat facing the seatbelt)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
BiTurbo228: if you PM Rarebear on here he can sell you a set of leads that are guaranteed to work.

If you PM me your email address I think the FREE version 2.1 of MES will reset airbag light and I do have a copy of the installer. It might be Version 1.x and I think I have a copy of that as well.

I assume you have read the threads on here that this is usually caused by the yellow plug connector under the seats. Disconnect the battery and then disconnect / reconnect the plugs will usually fix that followed by the reset procedure with MES.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Re the Airbag ECU
60658009 is a VERY early part. It was replaced in April 1999 by 60665492.

From that I can tell that you DON'T have side airbags, so stop trying to find the cable for them!
60658009 and 60665492 are for front airbags ONLY (Driver and Passenger).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all.
Do you actually have airbags in the seats? (side of the seat facing the seatbelt)
You know I don't think I do. Not with the car at the moment to check but I've never noticed them before...

That would rule that out presumably.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kandlbarrett: That would be really helpful thanks. I'm not certain I can PM yet as I've just activated my account. I think I can receive PMs though so if you send me your email I can email you.

Hopefully rarebear will see this as I'd definitely like one of his cables.

David C: Aaah, that would explain it :) so would a 60665492 work? I've heard that you can replace older ACUs with their equivalent newer ones, but then the occasional comment saying that you should replace like-for-like.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
David C: Aaah, that would explain it :) so would a 60665492 work? I've heard that you can replace older ACUs with their equivalent newer ones, but then the occasional comment saying that you should replace like-for-like.
Should do. It was a direct replacement.
Different ECU used when the side airbags came in.

But you'd want to connect to your existing airbag ECU first. It could be a poor connection to the front airbags (ie broken clockspring).

Just needs a wire soldered on your USB-KKL interface to connect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been a while but I've soldered a wire between pins 3 and 7 on my KKL lead and plugged it into the car with KWP7.1 scan.

Whenever I run it I get this come up when I try to connect:

Init started
Init Ready
No KeyBytes; Init not OK

No idea what that means, and I can't seem to find anything that says what the issue is here or on the Unidiag yahoo page.

Oh, and it's now decided that it doesn't want to speak to my ECU either. Not sure if that's to be expected when you solder the wires together, but it might help identify the problem...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, one of my mates casually mentioned that he knew someone with a Snap-On diagnostic tool that he was borrowing so we gave that a go. Turns out it's the passenger airbag squib. I'm assuming that that comes as part of the passenger airbag unit as I can't see any squibs for sale separately (apart from the driver's ones).

I'll still try Alfadiag to see if that'll connect so I can potentially solve the problem in case anyone has this issue in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts