Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess I'm the latest newbie. I recently moved from Atlanta to Plano, outside Dallas. I'm a Texan by raising, New Mexican by birth, but had last lived in the state in '82. I've also lived in Louisiana and Florida before spending the last 11 years in Georgia. Nice place. I miss it, but I'm already feeling right at home here in Big D.

I drive an '03 Mazda Protege 5, but I've owned Alfas since the mid-80s. I've had a couple of spiders and a 164S. I'm down to one now, my mistress, ol' '82 spider. We've been together a long time.

In Atlanta I had used AutoDelta, Spruell's and Hans Milo. Hans told me before I left that I needed to replace the clutch pin on the firewall and the fuel pump in the gas tank. Well, maybe.

I know I'm going to need a good Alfa mechanic. Hope someone can help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the shout outs.

I resond to mate, bud, Joe, dawg, dude, amigo, freund, just about anything.

Heading out to get the spider inspected in F 102-degrees here in Texas. Oy wey!

I'll take some pix for posting later.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Nice to have a US representative here again (we don't seem to get many here for some reason :confused: )

Don't forget to post some pics of your car (with some suitably spectacular local scenery in the background) :cool: ;)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO, as GC says it's good to see another US member :)

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Welcome to AO. :D

And yes, we don't get many members from the US. Stick around. :D

I was in Dallas last November to do some shopping. It was a nice place. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few Alfisti in the US? Well, that might be. The make hasn't been imported here since about '94. Rumors and rumors about GM doing something with it, but (yawn).

I had been an avid member of a US Alfa forum before my 164S went south on me. I had given that (beautiful black) car so much, and it wanted more. Changed out the engine, the transmission, the catalytic converter, the sun roof motor, with many tweaks in between. I woke up one morning and said "That's it! I'm turning Japanese!" That's when I dumped the 164 and bought the Mazda. A good car. I get what I expected from it.

The 164 just about turned me off to Alfas. I dropped out of the forum and spent little time thinking about cars of any make. I even dropped my AutoWeek subscription.

I've recently had the '82 out, and though my fuel pump problem can, uh hum, interrupt a road trip, it's still a blast to play with.

As you probably know, the US market is a mix of US and Japanese brands. Jags & Audis are rare. We have a decent mix of Bimmers and Benzes. And trucks. Lots of trucks. An occasional exotic like Bentley or Ferrari graces us here in the middle of Texas. Haven't seen anything French in quite a while. We do see the Swedes on a regular basis, though I'm kind of sour on Volvos after the one my (new) wife had. She's now a Toyota driver.

Did I mention trucks here in Texas? Yeah. Lots of trucks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hi and welcome. Good to hear from someone from Texas. Is the Texas AROC any good ?

I've recently been offered a parking place there for a classic Alfa, near San Antonio and outside the hurricane belt, which should provide fairly rust free storage. Where should I look to buy and service Alfas there ? Can you tell me what the taxes and so forth would be, or what I should look out for if I was going to take up the offer ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking for local service myself. I just registered my 82 spider for about $175. Initial registration is higher than annual, they tell me. By how much, I don't know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts