Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!

I've done it again and bought an Alfa!!! I can't help myself and I should have learned from the last 2 that I have owned!! Somehow I feel glad to be back though, however, things are different this time!!

I've done the unthinkable and bought a DAMAGED CAT D 147!!!!! It was just so good looking and I had to buy it.

It's a Silver 147 1.6 Tspark Turisimo with some light damage to the o/s wing, door's and roof which fingers crossed shouldn't be a massive job.

It's got a strange knock from the rear when you brake which sounds like it's coming from the rear n/s wheel, the ABS/ ASR lights are on and it needs a new cambelt, variator and cam cover gasket.

And that is just what I can see!!

To top it off I haven't got any history with her but I'm going to try and source that when I get the log book from the DVLA.

I'm hoping to become actively involved in meets and events this time and look forward to once again becoming an alfisti (I don't think it ever left).

I'd better start saving for the work to be done but I'm finding locally that prices just aren't as good as further afield. I've considered the DIY aspect but I'm unsure if that is the route that I want to go down.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and if any of you have any recommendations for companies or you are a bit handy with Alfas then PM me.

And if anyone would like to tell me how crazy they think I am.....Crack on.

Jay

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok I think you are a bit crazy, especially given the prices you can find a 147 1.6 for nowadays. But there's no better way of owning an Alfa than doing the work yourself in my opinion, you feel much more involved in it.

Welcome back and good luck. :thumbs:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,

I didn't give much for it at all so fingers crossed it will pay off but as you say the work, once done, will be a reward in itself.

What cars do you guys own?

Jay

·
Registered
461 Posts
Welcome bak,
Well worth doing if you know how to do it yourself... I think I'll be purchasing the old haynes manual for my Mito soon as its already started becoming expensive

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sure there'll be plenty of help on here if you need it..... doors are easy to change and minor bodywork not that hard to do either. I know a good sprayer if you need one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies,

In terms of tradesmen all recommendations are welcome so please pm me with the details.

Fingers crossed I should be on the road soon, I just need to sort out the near side rear wheel which bangs every time you brake.
Once that's done I should be roadworthy,

·
Registered
461 Posts
Where are you based in Yorkshire Jay...... I know a fair few people that do bodywork etc...
Had a couple of my cars done in the past

1 - 11 of 11 Posts