Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i never thought i'd ever be interested in owning an Italian car due to all the horror stories & bad press but it appears i've been bitten by the Alfa bug. So hi all & hope i'm in for a fantastic time as part of the club.:D

At present i own a '03 Vauxhall Asta G 1.8 SXI which right at the point i thought i'd fancy a change of motor its suddenly decided to start making some serious knocking noises (sodds law).
I've really been suprised at the price of used Alfa GT's recently, so much so i'm now really considering the purchase of my very first Italian car. Loving the looks, the size & spec of these cars it really does seem to good to be true. That's where i look up to you veteran Alfa owners to seek advice on any issues, weak area's & generally the highs & lows of Alfa ownership.
I do understand all marques have certain issues with every model in there range & most used cars have individual issues too.
Between me & my brother we are capable of basic vehicle maintaince ie sevicing, replacing braking items & suspension bushes & arms but we won't be setting any guide times alight.:p is this type of basic knowledge enough to be prepared as a Alfa owner?
Many thanks for reading all this & do hope your feed back will help my confidence grow so i actually become 'a true petrol head'.:)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome, andy82.

You are right- you can get a lot of car for your money with a used GT. That is what I did and I have not regretted it six months on. There is lots of good advice here and it is worth giving an Alfa a bit of TLC (mine can use oil when driven enthusiastically!).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Well i never thought i'd ever be interested in owning an Italian car due to all the horror stories & bad press but it appears i've been bitten by the Alfa bug. So hi all & hope i'm in for a fantastic time as part of the club.:D

At present i own a '03 Vauxhall Asta G 1.8 SXI which right at the point i thought i'd fancy a change of motor its suddenly decided to start making some serious knocking noises (sodds law).
I've really been suprised at the price of used Alfa GT's recently, so much so i'm now really considering the purchase of my very first Italian car. Loving the looks, the size & spec of these cars it really does seem to good to be true. That's where i look up to you veteran Alfa owners to seek advice on any issues, weak area's & generally the highs & lows of Alfa ownership.
I do understand all marques have certain issues with every model in there range & most used cars have individual issues too.
Between me & my brother we are capable of basic vehicle maintaince ie sevicing, replacing braking items & suspension bushes & arms but we won't be setting any guide times alight.:p is this type of basic knowledge enough to be prepared as a Alfa owner?
Many thanks for reading all this & do hope your feed back will help my confidence grow so i actually become 'a true petrol head'.:)

Hi Andy,
Welcome aboard.
Why not consider a V6 916 GTV.
There are some great cars with exceptional prices out there at the moment.
It's an Italian classic from Alfa.

Good hunting for whichever Alfa you eventaully choose.
There is a lot of expertise on the Forum to add to your skills so it should be fun

Alan

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.
Your basic knowledge and some help from the guys here are surely enough to maintain a GT or (as advised well) a 916 GTV..
Either way, hope you get it soon and have fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts