Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Having last owned an Italian Car over 20 years ago (Lancia Fulvia Zagato) I am about to realise a lifelong ambition to own an Alfa Romeo. I am looking at buying a 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS. However, the car of my choice appears to sit low at the rear. There is less distance between the rear tyres and the rear wheel arches compared to the front. What does this imply as the car drives beautifully? I also don't know how to tell if the car has self-levelling suspension. I have paid a small deposit and have a few days to complete the purchase. All advice welcome, especially from Sportwagon owners.
Kind regards,
Gibraltar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Are you a Harley rider? I'm not a biker but my two brothers in law each have a Harley Davidson.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and welcome !! :)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

Is there a body in the boot? :lol:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Hello
That looks a bit odd doesn't it?
:confused:
It also has Veloce side skirts and non-Veloce wheels so I wonder if it has been fiddled with?

If it has self levelling suspension, it should find it's natural ride height after you've driven it a short way. It does not pump up like a Citroen. You can also tell by looking at the dampers (shock absorbers). They don't look like normal ones - I think they have some big extra bits (technical ;) ) on them at the top.

This is what my Veloce Wagon sat like. (17" wheels).

See if the current owner can shed any more light on it, and ask him to take the lead out of the boot.
:D

M

·
0 Posts
welcome to AO dude...

probably telling you suck eggs here...but don't forget the full service history with a cambelt and tensioner change every 36k or 3 years, which ever is sooner...250-300 pounds at an indie...500+ at a main dealer...

also make sure it has both its keys, they are quite expensive to get cut at circa 140 pounds for key and fob...

all the best

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who replied and for the benefit of your experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was odd. Will post back if we get to the bottom of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts