Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all. Hope you can help. I have just purchased a 2001 156 1.6litre petrol from a local garage. 41K on the clock. Within a day it has strarted making a strange mechanical noise when starting from cold. This stops after a couple of seconds. Otherwise it sounds great when running. Aircon appears not to cool at all - could this noise be something to do with the compressor or something more sinister. Have to confess Garage where I bought it are being zero help and and although it is booked in for a check any guidance I can give them would be great. Also if it is really potentially bad news then I still have the option to return the car. Any thoughts would be most welcome.:cry:

W

·
0 Posts
Hi....the mechanical noise could be just the tappets/variator filling with oil but need more description to be sure. :D

Could also be the starter motor/compressor/idlers/belts clutch etc etc

Aircon...might just need a regas. Is the compressor working?

wrinx

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Hello and welcome :) Hope you sort your probs out :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help. By the way the Julian Roberts joke, very droll, you are not the first though!!:cool:

Interested in the comments from wrinx. If it is the variator and Tappets filling with oil should this be the case because I've never owned a car that makes this noise before. Have to say its definately a tappety type noise though and doesnt sound like clutch or other issues.

Ref the aircon nother weird thing I have noticed as well is that you only get any air into the car if the recirculation button is on. Aircon or no aircon even with the fan on full blast there is no airflow if you have it all set to air in. This is now getting tedious as one wants to breathe and not get soaked at the same time with this recent inclement weather. Any thoughts on this perhaps a blocked filter?

Sorry so many questions. !!!;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts