Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just went for a test drive in a full spec MiTo 155 at Vospers in Exeter...absolutely loved it, had to talk the wife round as although she loved the look of it, she was wanting us to buy a Fiat 500 1.4 Sport...now all i have to do is decide what one to go for, was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why the 120 has a 5 speed box and the 155 a 6 speed? I have noticed on the charts that the Max Torque comes in at lower revs on the 120 and I'm presuming that this is the reason.

Dan

·
Registered
631 Posts
The 5 speed gearbox is better suited to the lower powered engine easier to keep it on the boil so to speak. I would think of the kind of driving you would do, mostly urban and not very lead footed the 120 makes a lot of sense. Mostly nice A/B roads and a seriously progressive driver then the 155 is your friend.

As a side note the 5 speed is a modified 147 unit which is also in my car.

·
Registered
841 Posts
+1 to Olopboys comment. Got the wife the 120 as its much better suited to her mainly city driving and she didnt want a 6th gear. Ive Also test driven the 155 several times and the difference is pretty limited, basically the 120 runs out of puff a bit earlier than 155 as smaller turbo means its legs aint as long. Unless your totally ragging it though the real world difference is almost non existant. Certainly wasnt worth an extra £1200 IMHO.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you can afford it: 155.

Also, a lot depends on what you're used to. I tried both the 120 JTDm, 120 and 155 petrol - and the only-one matching (actually - beating) my diesel 147 (150bhp and loads of torque after remap) is the 155 petrol. A remap offc can change a lot too :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Might be sensible to go for the 120bhp model and remap it in the future should you start to grow out of it? Plus you'll still have the 5 speed box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your comments, most of my driving down 'ere is in country lanes, and twisty A and B roads, occasionally going up the M5 or out along the A38. Paid the deposit earlier today and was informed that my car is on the boat...should be with me in 4-5 weeks.

WOOT

Dan

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Thanks all for your comments, most of my driving down 'ere is in country lanes, and twisty A and B roads, occasionally going up the M5 or out along the A38. Paid the deposit earlier today and was informed that my car is on the boat...should be with me in 4-5 weeks.

WOOT

Dan
Firstly...how come yours gets here so quick...I have to wait 8 weeks on a priority order so no fair.

Secondly although you have already ordered, I would always go for 120bhp...the 0-60 is nearly as quick and the fuel consumption is quite a bit higher.

That my 2 cents.

·
Registered
631 Posts

WOOT

Dan
So I take it you went for the 155 in the end and were lucky to find a pre-order as you wanted (dealer speculations for the win)

(Oh and another side note the turbo is the same in both the 120 and 155 its from IHI model RHF3, all I can say is kill the nerd :eek: )

·
Registered
3 Posts
the 120 would get my vote without a doubt..... the car is more or less identical (less the twin exhaust which i prefer) but for the saved £1200, you could easily achieve a 35hp increase if it's power you wanted.... also allowing you to tweak the power band to suit the 5 speed gear box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts