Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone
i was just wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice as my car is now doing my head in lol,
i have an intermittent starting problem, some times it will start on the turn of the key and other times the starter wont even click, it starts when i bump it though, i was hoping someone in here might be able to give me some advice,
all the best and merry christmas
chris

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i would deffinatly check the conections to the starter moter as it sound like the root cause of your problem if they are fully tightened and good conection then it may well be in need of replacment

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
And don't forget to check that the earth wire to the engine/box is making a good contact - had this problem on our 156 - I could only just move the earth wire at the connector, but that slight play was enough....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for all your help i will look when im back in the yard, i have one more question though how the fook am i meant to get to it lol there is no room anywhere lol, do i need to drop the engine or the box or something grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
IIrc - access is easiest from underneath. I only know this because when I had my starter motor replaced (by a non Alfa garage), the car had to go back in, as one of the lower engine mounts hadn't been assemble back together correctly and the engine was bouncing on the driveshafts!!!!! :tut: :wow:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bloody hell mate, right that makes it all even bloody harder as i havent got any ramps, awwwwwww ffs

·
Registered
975 Posts
You can access the starter from the top , you just need to move some stuff out the way like the intake pipe so you can see more easily, yet its still not "easy" to do.

But your problem could be caused by a number of things and I wouldn't jump to conclusions saying its defiantly the starter... just my 2 cents worth :lol:

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Also, check your battery terminals are nice and tight. I've seen these symptoms before.
Do as many checks as possible before embarking on "mission replace starter motor".

bloody hell mate, right that makes it all even bloody harder as i havent got any ramps, awwwwwww ffs
However it is still worth getting yourself a jack and some axle stands (Halfords or Machine Mart are your friends). They are invaluable, although hopefully you won't have to use them that often.

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts