Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbs:
Threaded 147's sump plug. Was going to buy a kit (£50 odd quidd). Anyone got one to buy/ borrow (for a price) before I go ahead.

Cheers
JDG
PS this is the correct size isn't it?

·
Administrator
45,290 Posts
When I did this for my 145, I bought the whole kit myself, and then sold it on (minus one helicoil obviously) on here for a reasonable amount less than purchase price. The buyer did the exact same, and it got sold on 5 or 6 times, each of us getting a much better deal out of it than we otherwise would have.

Might be a way to go?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have just discovered that the M18 x 1.5 thread in my 147 sump is damaged.
Did you manage to source a used Helicoil kit?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

No. Will be buying one in the next month or so as the oil change is due (currently is sealed with PTFE tape).

Have decided to go with the pilot nose version as you don't have to drill the thread out.

Cheers
JDG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hopefully I won't need it again so it's for sale - I will PM you about that.
For anyone who might be interested I have a few comments to make about the use of the tool.
As the depth of the thread in the sump is about 12 to 15mm the M18 nose of the tap starts to emerge out of the threaded part on the inside as the new thread is just starting to cut, so it is important to ensure that the tap remains at right angles to the seal mating surface because it tends to wobble a bit initially.
The tap should be covered in grease to collect the bits of aluminium, however some do escape inside and I think that I got them all out by using a piece of thick wire bent at right angles, fed through the drain hole, with a blob of contact adhesive on the end. I did this several times (also with a blob of grease on the end) until it came out clean.
I made a wind in tool from an old M12 bolt with a slot cut in the end.
When the insert is correctly positioned the tang can be broken off and removed using long nose pliers. This is a bit fiddly because the insert depth is 1D and so some of the insert on the inside is not supported by the thread in the sump casing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts