Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loose spark plug which ideally needs a new threaded insert and have been advised that the answer is a helicoil. I have been advised by a very knowledgeable member of this site who suggests the head can stay on.

I phoned some local garages and they all say head off because of swarf potentially getting into the cylinders and causing damage.

If anyone has had it done or has a view then I would be really keen to hear. Or if there is another solution for a loose plug?

Thanks.
Liam

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
;)
Hi i have done them with head on many times now and had no problems after both on race cars and road cars :cool:
Me too. :thumbs:

We did our own and the inserts cost a quid each. The whole Kit cost about £30 with all the tools to do the job.

The trick is to use a lot of grease to capture the swarf and carefully remove it. :thumbs: :D

Anything you do miss gets blown out the exhaust. :p

There will, of course, always be a remote possibility of some very minor damage being caused but IMHO it is well worth the risk as the shards are only aluminium anyway. ;)

That is why garages can justify taking the head off and charging the money! :rant:

Paulus

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
On! Did it in situ on a 2.4 Jag, (my first Big Cat:D ) years ago. The grease tip is ok, but any fine particles entering the combustion chamber should just 'flare up and away'.:):

1 - 6 of 6 Posts