Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now most experienced or keen track/race drivers will probally know a fair amount about the art of 'Heel and Toe' but I was wondering what peoples experience of putting this into practice in your Alfa.

Ive tried it but cant seem to get the nack of it and I was wondering if its either my poor attemps at (more likely) or the pedal layout in my 156.

For those who are not sure what 'Heel and Toe' is, its not a case of 'Foot and Mouth' lol but a way of balancing the revs while down shifting where by you blip the throttle while braking at the same time.

Check out this video showing 'Touge Battle' which shows feet work, keep an eye out for the Civic drivers niffty 'Heel and Toe' action

American Touge Battle- Video

·
Registered
91 Posts
The layout of my pedals seems about right for me. The brake pedal is slightly higher than the accelerator so that when the brake is depressed it is level with the accelerator.

It's taken a few months of practice, but I'm getting the hang of it. I sort of use the ball of my foot as a pivot on the brake pedal and roll the side of my foot across the accelerator to blip the throttle. It may not be the conventional way but it works for me.

It took a while to get the timing right. I used to 'blip' a bit early and a bit hard which would scare the heck out of any pedestrians that happened to be nearby. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
haha i've tried this a few times and every time i though "sh*t! i best not do that again!" i have only been driving for two years though :p my dad can do it in the cossie really well when we go to track days but i'm useless. I'd love to be able to do it though!

·
Administrator
60,109 Posts
I've never tried it but I can double clutch, needed to know how to do that to drive the older cars.

Looks like fun though.

J

·
0 Posts
I have been doing heel and toe for years, makes for a smoother drive....

Left foot braking i am still getting to grips with

S

·
0 Posts
I as of yet not been able not been able to master heel and toe but I have been blipping the throttle on down changes to match the revs, is this similar to heel and toe?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I do a fair bit of this (incl left foot braking) but one thing everyone should remember is that in racing you are revving the engine when you heel and toe, not just blipping it slightly....and you are braking as hard as you can.....something which you generally dont do on roads (more of a progressive brake) so left foot braking feels a lot more savage to most people. Even when i'm racing the left foot braking feels more savage and less in control but it gives me faster lap times as i generally have it full on or full off :lol:
Thats just my opinion though :thumbs:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Heel and toe i have been doing since started driving, as it was carried over from riding bikes, where it is essential to stop the rear wheel trying overtake the front :lol: and i find all alfas have great spacing for my feet and leg length, but thats me.

Left foot braking i find more appropriate for adjusting the car mid corner than to actually brake with my left foot. Makes for muchos sideways action if implemented in the right way, and a helpful aid to an understeery moment. Best practiced on track (and by way of disclaimer, kept on track as you should never go fast enough to need such manuvours on the road.)

·
Registered
210 Posts
One of the things I have always loved about Alfas is that the pedals always seem to be set just right to allow heeling and toeing. I learned in my first car (a Mini) which had no synchro. Since then I have been doing it (oo-er Missus) in all my Alfas - from Suds to a 75 to a 164, a 156 and now a 166. The responsiveness of the engines just lends itself to this technique. When I have tried it in other cars (step forward BMW) it just doesn't work - pedals too far apart, sluggish engine response, waste of time!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
What he said. It's fun to try but at normal road speeds it really has no place. Neither does DDCing. Best way to slow down in normal driving is to use the brakes (far cheaper to replace than transmisson parts) then choose the gear which allows the corner to be taken with an open throttle. This will let you tuck the nose in by backing off the throttle should the car understeer.

On the other hand you can drive it like you stole it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
But dont they always break??? lol

Tried left foot breaking in a few autos and ended up eating steering wheel :rolleyes:

Now Now :p

I have a selespeed, it doesn't offer any improvement changing gears with my heel or toe, but it's certainly more exciting.

Agree with the heel toe , but you do get a nice blip of the throttle when you change down :D

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Heel & Toe in a modern car has far more effect on the ears than anything else :D
The clue is in the title....you are supposed to use your heel and your toe.....not your ears.....are you related to Prince Charles or something??? :lol: :cheese: :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts