Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need AO help ! I 'll be on the mountains for Christmass and I must be prepared if I find any snow. I have the 215/45/17 selespeeds with standard suspension and I know chains are forbidden at this wheel dimension.

I was thinking something about this:

Has anyone any experience on such product? Do they actually work? Will they leave any marks on my precious selespeeds?

Is there anything else I should know or be careful of?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks :)

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
yep, that looks crap :p laughing

sorry Yannis wink you know we never have snow here!
but at least I put the thread back up wink

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Banflu:
<strong>yep, that looks crap :p laughing

sorry Yannis wink you know we never have snow here!
but at least I put the thread back up wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont care about the looks Patrick. Whatever it will be, my bella will still be gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toad:
<strong>You could buy snow tires.. Non Spiked</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You could consider steel wheels with snow tires and a set of (cheap) snow chains.

Steel wheels must be cheap to get on a greek ebay (or something like that) since a lot of 156's were delivered with steel wheels and are now on alloys.

You can get snow tires very easy / pretty cheap because of the steel wheel size of the 156 (very common size). Maybe you can even borrow them from your dealership.

On most occasions the snow tires will be sufficient and on the real bad roads you can use snow chains.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I think the relevant part of Jomor's question is

"I must be prepared if I find any snow"
NB the "IF" :D

Who wants to be running around with unfashionalbe 16" steel rims and narrow tyres "IF" snow is very unlikely frown

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
actualyl he probably already has the (15") steel wheels...
but i agree with Stori, he wants to use his 17s cause they look drop dead gorgeous :D and will only take the chains or whatever, as a precaution.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have a set of 15" steel wheels ( the wheels i bought the car with ) and I also have brand new chains for them. But using them for a 1000km trip is not an option during the winter, since:

1) They re 2 years old (Pirelli P6000), which means the grip sucks. I dont trust them anymore.
2) The looks are worse than awful. Could you go out on a date wearing your slippers ? laughing ( ok, i m kiddin, looks are not important compared to safety, but thats exactly the point, the tyres are narrow and old, and i dont feel comfortable getting them back on my bella )

Snow tyres are not an option since they will be a big expense for something that is questionable if it will be used even for once. Last Christmas ( ..i gave you my heart.. oops, sorry I got carried away :D ) I bought the chains for the 15" and I didnt need to use them. Snow is very rare in Athens, and even if it snows here, I can use the subway to go to work, so I can live without my bella for a few snowy days. The only chance of using them is on Christmas vacations on the mountains, which is also not certain. So tyre expenses do not make sense imo.

Stori got the point, its not certain that I will find snow, but if I will, I must not get stuck in the middle of the road and spoil my vacation for nothing.

@Reuven: A very lowered suspension could make things more difficult if the snow chains ( they re out of the question for 16" and 17" anyway ) or the plastic "spyder" type anti-sliding thingies ( like the one in the pic ) are not thin enough. At potholes or when turning the steering they could hit the car body somewhere imo.. Imagine Justin trying to fit those at his 147. No way :D

Anyway the only option I seem to have right now is those plastic anti-slides. But I havent heard anyone from my friends using them, and I dont know if they really work, or if they leave any marks on my Selespeeds. Thats why I asked, I thought that some of you northerns may have used such things :)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Yannis... did you thought about go by train or bus? :D wink

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Hi jomor,
I'm sure the reason snowchains can't be used with the std 16"/17" wheels is the very tight clearance between the inner edge of the wheel/tyre and the suspension upright.
If you use 15mm spacers and longer bolts they should move the wheel far enough from the suspension upright to make fitting snowchains possible.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by THROTTLEMAN:
<strong>Yannis... did you thought about go by train or bus? :D wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There are Alfa Romeo trains?? Weeeeeeeeeh :D

@David: Interesting point. I ll do a little research on it ( even though I have no much time left, I leave on Saturday )

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong>2) The looks are worse than awful. Could you go out on a date wearing your slippers ? laughing ( ok, i m kiddin, looks are not important compared to safety, but thats exactly the point, the tyres are narrow and old, and i dont feel comfortable getting them back on my bella )

Anyway the only option I seem to have right now is those plastic anti-slides. But I havent heard anyone from my friends using them, and I dont know if they really work, or if they leave any marks on my Selespeeds. Thats why I asked, I thought that some of you northerns may have used such things :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jomor,

We "northerners" don't use chains or grips or other gimmicks. Those are for wussies. :p wink :D

Snow. Fine. Bring it on. Sleet. Ok, it's not fun, but we handle it. Ice. No big deal. Black ice -- well that one causes a bit of concern, but we keep on motoring.

If you're really worried about getting stuck just pack a shovel in the trunk and something to throw down for a bit of grip: kitty litter, salt, sand, etc. If you're looking for any other helpful advice, sorry but I can't assist you.

As for steel wheels, my brother runs with plain steel rims on the back all winter long. His snow tires are mounted on them, and since it makes sense for him to run with winter rubber, he puts up with the aesthetic. Besides no car looks good covered with road salt, snow and muddy slush, so who cares about that bedroom slipper look?
--Toronto

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Nah, Stori. I'm the one powersliding around the corner while listening to the snow creak under me. :p wink

Seriously those things that jomor is looking at aren't even legal in this province. You can't put chains or grips or anything else on and drive over public roads. If you want to drive around your own private back acreage then you can put on whatever you like, but once you come off your property, the clamp-ons must come off.

Driving in snow really isn't a problem, as long as you use your head. :rolleyes: :D

The most unexpected situation you encounter on a regular basis is being pulled off an otherwise clear and dry road by a small, seemingly inconsequential drift. Those can be tricky, and it's always the last drift that you suspect that fools you.

I always have to laugh whenever I read about the hothouse AO Mediterraneans or southern hemisphere types go on and on about the snow. I realize that if you don't deal with the white stuff on a regular basis it might appear daunting, but it's really no big deal.
--Toronto

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
We only have to use chains for snow here in Australia , on dirt roads leading to a snow field.
I can only imagine the destruction to a sealed road and to a tyre if you used chains on a sealed road frown

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yanni if you need spacers GT-AR has on stock I know because I asked Dimitri for spacers for my car just past Friday...
They're 100 Euros...

The offer still goes for my old tyres... wink this way you could save the 100 Euros for an extra night or something...
they are two years old but they only have 2500 km on them does anyone know if they're any good? :confused:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong> Will they leave any marks on my precious selespeeds?
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yanni I'm afraid that there's little u can do about snow with your tyre configuration. My advice is:
First check the weather report for the area (EMY has an Internet site) or call somebody in Zagorohoria. If snow is expected (I mean a lot of snow) then 2 alternatives: The cheap is put on your slippers and pack the chains with u and the expensive buy the Spikes.
The Spikes wont normally hurt your wheels because they are mounted on a plate fixed on the wheel and not directly on the alloys but the damn things are too expensive for such a use imo.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by amyndas:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong> Will they leave any marks on my precious selespeeds?
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yanni I'm afraid that there's little u can do about snow with your tyre configuration. My advice is:
First check the weather report for the area (EMY has an Internet site) or call somebody in Zagorohoria. If snow is expected (I mean a lot of snow) then 2 alternatives: The cheap is put on your slippers and pack the chains with u and the expensive buy the Spikes.
The Spikes wont normally hurt your wheels because they are mounted on a plate fixed on the wheel and not directly on the alloys but the damn things are too expensive for such a use imo.
Good luck :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the useful info, my god, they re expensive.. Its just a piece of plastic damn it.. £200 on a website is too much, i ll ask this afternoon on the local accessories store. The weather is expected not to have snow this Christmas, but you never know. I m afraid i ll take two steel 15" wheels on my trunk :D

@Toronto: I m not afraid of the snow itself, and i m a bit familiar with snow sliding ( not like 147Dude of course wink ), since i was doing it with my dad's cars whenever we had snow, (started from 11 years old) on specific roads with no traffic at all, just for the fun :D What i m really afraid of, is the morons who think that their car is the best of all, and they re the best race drivers in the world, driving at snow exactly as they drive in the dry road :mad: Roads are full of irresponsible arseholes unfortunately. And of course snow tyres are the best option, but nobody gets them here beacuse snow is rare. Most ppl get snow chains to avoid the chance of getting stuck on ice ( unless they drive a 147 with 17" rant ).

I didnt know that spikes were that expensive frown

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
<strong> I m afraid i ll take two steel 15" wheels on my trunk :D
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Man u either pack very few things or u're leaving your gf here laughing 2 15'' wheels in a 147 trunk eek! I have to see that!.Please post a pic :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts