Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you fabulous people who own the most asthetically pleasing car around. I have a 2 litre 147 selespeed and am in desperate need of some advice. It has recently had a new gear box, cambelt and valves. Two days ago in mid-journey it stuck on what gear i was in and wouldn't move up or down, when i stopped it put itself into neutral and refused to select any gear through either the the sitck or the paddles. It later, after being abandoned in diguest for several hours, worked fine in city and manual. Thinking it was just one of those glitches to be expected in these tempramental beasties carried on as normal. The following day it did it again, and although after faffing about with checking engine oil, gear box oil ( which are fine ), stopping, starting it agian and getting it to select a gear after setting off it didn't last more than a few hundred meters before refusing to go up or down gears. It made no difference whether or not the car was in city or manual mode. It is turning into a serious money pit and i don't want to sell it as it is a beautiful, sexy car. Can anyone please offer any pointers as to what i should be looking for?

Thanx for taking the time to read my witterings!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sounds like you need a new selespeed pump. Had similar problems a while back. A new part cost me about £180 before VAT and fitting.

Don't be too put off, i know its a pain having to fork out, but it is a part i would loosely consider as a consumable and therefore will need replacing from time to time. Mine went at about 4 years old and average milage.

(I hope this is the correct diagnosis anyway - if not ignore me)

Welcome to AO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi it sounds like I am in a similar position. I have not replaced the gearbox but I had a "scare" last week when I stopped for petrol. When I went to take off the car refused to find a gear. I switched off and on again and it worked. Just as well as I was 150 miles from home late at night. This evening I started to hear a grinding noise while driving and when I slowed down the selespeed would not down gear. As a result I came to a junction having to stop and it spluttered then popped into neutral and will not find a gear no matter what. I feel I have to find an expert. Did you have any grinding from your gearbox before your failure.

Marcus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts