Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I am a little desperate now, I get VDC System failure - Go to dealer on the display, and the code light stays on...ofcourse i cannot start the engine....:cry:
I have tried almost everything. I have checked and cleaned all connections i could find. I have charged the battery, and the voltage is very close to 13V.
The starter works fine but the egine won't start.
I have checked the aerial to the code box, I have measured all fuses and checked the cables under the dash and around the ignition barrel...
At last, I had a guy to come over and diagnoze it, He is from our local Alfa workshop, and he said the ECU need to be replaced.
He could not establish connection with it. He did get one error code though: C1521 - CAN MESSAGE FROM E.I. ERROR PRESENT
I cannot find this code and what it means anywhere but i presume it is quite self explanatory, communication with the ECU failed.
That was what he told me, i need to order a new ECU.

The only thing i find so strange is that this happened in the winter time as the car was in the garage, (not heated though)
my wife tried to start it and then the VDC and code problem came up.
Since these two things came at the same time it makes me belive it is not only the immobilizer that is causing it, i did a motorwash in november before leaving the car in the garage, i think some water somwhere causes this.
My BIG problem is: If i order a new ECU for around 5000 pounds, and still no joy, then i will cry blood....:rant: Cant return it since it adapts to the car and becomes useless.
BUTBUTBUT, I have checked all fuses, all connections i could find, i have messed around with the ECU, I have removed battery for different periods of time and I only turn the ignition to MAR-no starter, to make sure the voltage is good.
These alarms comes back all the time anyway.

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,
/Hjalle74

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
A second hand ECU complete with both ignition keys and all the locks can often be found on Ebay for around £150. Might be another option.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you washed the engine and the ecu got wet,it may have short circuited and damaged itself.
If you would like to remove it and send it to us i could test and let you know if it works or not,then you can decide what to do.PM me if you want:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, but i ran the engine after that washing thing...and it ran just fine. This problem occured around 2 months after the washing.
I will pm you if i want to send the ecu down to you. Thanks again!
/Hjalle74

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Why dont you try putting the immobiliser code in manualy. If you know the code that is. Then you can rule out the immobiliser. As for the vdc error. Have you checked the fuse on top of the battery.?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi!
I do not have any code card. Maybe I could get one from my local dealer and try? The car is imported from Belgium though...
btw, I have already measured ALL fuses, including the one under the passenger airbag...
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You can get the key card from an alfa dealer. I would highly recommend that you try to start the car by entering the immobiliser code manually before you start throwing money at a new ecu. I could save you a lot of money. Also Is your abs light on.?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
There is a little plastic box that sits on top of the battery that connects to positive. There is a fuse in this that sometimes blows. It is the fuse for the vdc and abs. I would defo check this as this is the most commen problem for a vdc error. They do blow when the car has been started with a week battery or jump started.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi. maybe i'm wrong and I do think that I am wrong. but after looking at various models I can not find error code c1521. what details can you give us on your vehicle and don't just check the fuse also check if the fuse make contact by checking current on the wires it self

·
Registered
4 Posts
fuses are ok

u1601 - c-can line error
c1521 - error messages can

the diagnosis is not clear these errors. VDC does not work.
cables under the steering wheel and the sensor rotation in order

I think it will be an error somewhere in the wiring or the control unit :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the problem is in the control unit ecu. Today I borrowed from a friend, and no error appeared. On my will probably be somewhere cold joint or a bad capacitor :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts