Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok hmmm umm err where do i start?

Bought a car from ebay ( yup i know mistake number one ), however I relised that it was not very well when I fired her up and she sound like an ashmatic 1980 ford fiesta ( very loud tappety sound ) and looked like a 60 a day habit gone wrong.

As there was no rent on the car i tried to move it up the street to some where safe from the vultures till monday when i could tax the car.

However there was almost no power in the engine and after abouts 500 yards she cut out. I waited a few mins tried again and this time got 100 yrds and she died and since then ive had no joy starting here up.
Every time i try its as if the starter motor is throwing but there is just a clunk and nothing else.

Has any one got any ideas as to what might be the problem

I have noticed when i started the strip down there was something smashed / missing behind the first cam ( ie the one nearest to the bonnet catch ) ive attached a photo.

Any help would be appreciated....if any one has Teamspeak then please grab me on it asap to help me sort this before i go nuts the ip is 193..47.83.220:8905

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
your kidding... thats the cam sensor, & that was just lef tinside the cam cover ....FFS!!!

do not start that engine any more...get ti sorted asap.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It wouldn't have run at all if that wasn't secured or servicable so it's been smashed since you've run it, but I think this is more than likely a belt changegone wrong and someones bayed it out to a willing victim, but if you payed by paypal and the listing doesn't state "sold as seen or spares/repair" then you have a legal case against the seller under the sales of goods act.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wouldn't have run at all if that wasn't secured or servicable so it's been smashed since you've run it, but I think this is more than likely a belt changegone wrong and someones bayed it out to a willing victim, but if you payed by paypal and the listing doesn't state "sold as seen or spares/repair" then you have a legal case against the seller under the sales of goods act.
IT wasnt hanging off like that i removed the bolts etc but the " plastic part " was mangled into the cam wheel. Does any one have any idea as to why it wont turn over at all now?

Unfortunatley for me the auction did state spares or repairs and i paid cash ( last time i used paypal it cost me approx £5000 ) so im kinda stuck :mad: :mad: :mad:

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

·
Registered
191 Posts
Depending on where you are get it recovered to Smaky or someone else that will be able to fix it for a reasonable sum of money, sorry to hear your troubles tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
9,721 Posts

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
But then why not just rebuild what you have, the other engine has an unknown fault, we know what's wrong with yours and what needs to be done.

·
Registered
568 Posts
well there is a cost issues

Replacement engine plus parts = £250 ish

Rebuild of exsting engine = £$£%$£%

oh crap i fainted
You need to make a costing issue depending on what you know about the car you have just bought.What you paid, how old is the car any other issues that you dont know about. But buying another engine that you know nothing about, with unknown history and faults - out of the frying pan into the fire springs to mind.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
where is that picture taken from?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
2.0L petrol ... right?

thats IMPRESSIVE damage.

i doubt its repairable at a 'reasonable' price :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts