1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:

Hi
Please be patient with the newbie - that is newbie to
this forum not Alfa ownership. I currently have a 156 2.5 v6 24valve (1998 S) and in the past a '99 spider.

I've been following the posts on thermostat problems and cars overheating however, i seem to have the oposite problem:cry:

From cold the temp guage struggles to move at all sometimes and the heating in the car doesn't always work - this results in the interior steaming up and the interior fans seem overwhelmed. If i stop the car and leave it then return within 1/2 hour it then seems to work ok with temp guage showing round 90 and heating working!!!!!

I was thinking the thermostat is goosed but having read some of your thoughts i'm not so sure now:confused:

CJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi and welcome !

First of all the majority of the problems are just like yours .. underheating.

Things to check ..
Check Rad hose temp with your hand on it .
Check the cables onto the sender units and make sure they are secure.
change the thermostat.
Watch to see if that improves it .
If its still acting weird ... get it on examiner to check the reported temp.
(Sender units or gauge may be faulty )
Replace sender units as required .

Actual heater control problems ?
Dunno ... maybe .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Gents,

Went out on Saturday morning to check all the things you suggested, only to discover that the power steering pump (?) has failed over night :wow:
Is it possible that frost caused this - it was about -3 the night before?
Now have to check pipes and reservoir as well as pump at acertain which is the latest component to fail. The wife is getting a bit sick of me saying "it's the joys of Alfa motoring" but i'll press on:lol:

CJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great result thanks to you forumites, power steering sorted for under £15 quid, well chuffed.

Going to try your suggestions in the morning - weather permitting, so hoping for another result.

CJ

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
The 156 thermostats tend to stick open, so the water in the engine never reallly gets a chance to warm up properly untill you get stuck in traffic. It's a common problem ... my new thermostat is on its way from Alternative now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts