Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed last night that when it starts getting a bit warm in the car (when the heater is set to 25 degs) and I turned it down to say 18 deg but nothing seems to happen. By this I mean that the temperature still seems to stay extremely hot and not drop.

I did notice that if you put the fan strength to zero (but not turn the unit off) it can make a difference but i might like some cooler air blowing without the aircon supping juice.

Any help is appreciated.

Pookie

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Press the button, as without it the heater picks up heat and you wont see much of a difference once the car is warm.

As it just comes in and out as needed, leave the AC switched on all the time, it has a beneficial dehumidifying effect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Press the button, as without it the heater picks up heat and you wont see much of a difference once the car is warm.

As it just comes in and out as needed, leave the AC switched on all the time, it has a beneficial dehumidifying effect.
Is that going to have a nasty affect on my MPG? I though aircon wasnt great for that?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
As above, these cars have climate control not air conditioning as such. The snowflake '*' button is for the climate control not just cold air and needs to be on if you want the climate to be controlled properly either way, hot or cold. :thumbs:

PS. Extra fuel consumed is probably negligible on a 1.9/2.0 diesel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same issue re heating, it only seems to drop the temp when I switch it down to 16.5 c.

I keep the aircon off most of the time as it can increase fuel consumption by up to 10%. Only use it this time of year when its very wet to prevent cabin misting. I do activate it occasionally to prvent refridgerant loss.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Personally I have never seen much difference in mpg between air con on or off. Try it in full auto and see if it makes a difference.

The full auto system does seem to work extremely well in the 159.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
In ye olde times you could feel the AC drawing power, these days the compressors are smaller and better controlled, I've seen next to no difference in fuel economy when I've tried testing it in full climate control cars.

Probably the same difference as eco tyres or a slight breeze.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
There could be a few reasons behind this, and not sure how the system works, but there are some systems where the AC will not switch on below a certain temperature.
It may also be just the car interior taking a while to cool, or it may behave differently depending on the outside temperature.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The benefits of climate control are so great that I have never understood why anyone would switch it off. I recall that many years ago they proved that the aerodynamic losses of driving around in summer with the windows open was greater than turning on the air con and I would be amazed if there was a really significant change in fuel consumption in winter.
If Philh is getting a genuine 10% increase in fuel consumption with a thumping torquey 2.4 diesel when climate control is on I would be looking for another problem somewhere. There is no way the CC compressor can be absorbing that much power.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It would mean you have approx. a 24hp compressor for the air con!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts