Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The story so far...

(2000MY 2.0 GTV Phase2)

No heater controls working (just the rear demister but that not the issue)

1/ fan works when 12v across it (but nothing on a/c panel)
2/ control unit replaced
3/ replacement speed resistor pack replaced with known good item
4/ 30a fuse under bonnet supply good
5/ all fuses under steering wheel good (fuse panel looks ok at the back)
6/ visual inspection on all plugs and wires
7/ 12v supply at large white plug (red wire) & 12v supply with ign on (orange wire) good earth
8/ fresh (30a fused) power supply by-passing car wiring to heater cable (still nothing)
9/ earth checked in loom at heater ok
10/ still nothing on a/c control panel.....

Am I missing something obvious, and any other things to check please!
(its driving me nuts...)

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're going to have to do more than just a 'visual inspection of all plugs and wires'.. a complete continuity test from source to fan..
Put a power supply to the fan, and checked the earth...

Its the Control Panel not lighting up or doing anything I can fathom!

Or the fan not working at all...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Christmas colored wire to ECU

In addition to the wire going to the heater fan always having 12 volts. A wire branches off of the same source and goes to the switch/ECU assembly. Check to see if the green/red wire going into the switch/ECU assembly has 12 volts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know how to use a multimeter?.. If not I can only say that it would be better to find someone who can.. too much to explain on here..

Yes, I do know how to use one...

I've con checked the earths and check all the power supplies to the fan and speed controller.

Changed the "speed controlling thingy" and replaced the a/c switch panel controller too.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Be aware that AlfaOBD apparently connects to the Harrison climate control ECU in our phase-2 Spiders/GTVs. I wrote a bit about AlfaOBD in my thread 'Spider Roof ECU connection success'. :) I'll be updating once I've tried connecting to my Spider's climate control ECU.

Of course, it would help if the climate control panel wasn't totally dead... I think you'll need to check that it's getting power and ground to the 'a/c switch panel controller' (the ECU) first.

-Alex

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a wiring schematic now, so off out to get the multi-meter stuck in...

(how weird... my spell check is trying to change multi-meter to mufti-meter!! wonder what they are???) ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it....

Turns out to be a badly burnt connection at a white plastic socket, high up above the clutch pedal (about the same height as the rev counter / speedo)

It took some finding I tell ya...

What pointed in that directions was 4v with ignition off, and 10v with engine running...
(should have been 12v all the time) so traced cables to drivers foot well and saw the burnt plug high up just about out of reach...

Being 6'3" and 20 stone (ex Rugby player), laying on your back, re wiring a dodgy socket is NOT fun!!

But everything now works 100% :thumbs:

(I now have a spare phase2 fan speed controller & a/c heater control panel ECU.)

But I'm a very happy bunny!!!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Turns out to be a badly burnt connection at a white plastic socket, high up above the clutch pedal (about the same height as the rev counter / speedo)

It took some finding I tell ya...
Great news - thanks for the update :)

-Alex

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't going to let it beat me...

But it was certainly entertaining fixing it in the position that its in!!

(but the low voltage from what should have been a 12v supply pointed me in the direction of the power supply! It also flowed more volts with the engine running, pointing to a duff connection somewhere...)

But really pleased I have heat :thumbs: (and cold a/c too)

Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If anyone else is having heater problems, I am now something of an expert, so don't hesitate to drop me an email...

If you need the parts to fix the common problems on a GTV or 156 look here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Heater-Fan-Variable-resistor-147-156-GT-GTV-Ph2-3-/330655696018?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfc9d8492

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Heater-A-C-control-unit-fits-Phase2-3-GTV-156-and-maybe-others-/330662984226?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cfd0cba22

Both advertised with FREEPOST and I think about the cheapest parts available

(Neither part fixed my problem, but both tested and 100% working) :thumbs:

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts