Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My heater fans stay on full power even when the engine is off. I had to remove the fuse.

I ordered (in the photo, lower) what I thought was a Gtv fan resistor but it looks very different, any ideas why?

Mine in a 1998 phase 2. It seems the part I want (hanging in the photo) looks similar to the 159 range of cars.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
It is an engine cooling fan resistor and not the one for the cabin heater/fans.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jeśli dobrze zrozumiałem, to jest wentylator kabinowy. Zobacz schemat: Tom 3 część 2 strona 180. Przy wyłączonym zapłonie wentylator nie działa, przekaźnik I35, który dostarcza + 12V do wentylatora, nie działa. Z drugiej strony, -12V przechodzi przez przełącznik prędkości wentylatora Q4 i omija rezystory czwartego zakresu. Gtv/Spider Service Manual - Google Drive

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,336 Posts
Hi please post in English so we can understand it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
There done it for you:-

If I understood correctly, it is a cabin fan. See diagram: Volume 3 part 2 page 180. With the ignition off, the fan does not work, the I35 relay, which supplies + 12V to the fan, does not work. On the other hand, -12V passes through the Q4 fan speed switch and bypasses the fourth range resistors.

cmd c to pick up, put down using cmd v in google translate.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
If your heater fan is constantly on, the electrinic device hanging in the wire, is broken.
Have a look in this thread for more information. Heater fan controller
It is possible to repair it if you have some electronic skills

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, that's quite expensive.

Seems like some straightforward circuit board skills but would need to get hold of the right mosfets, which could be tricky.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

A local garage is breaking a Twinspark, I'll also check if the resistor is the same.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If you need second hand parts, try searching on Facebook for GTV City. They are very good, I replaced the same resistor in my Spider not too long ago and the replacement was about £20 delivered.

Reactions: nelo1110

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
My heater fans stay on full power even when the engine is off. I had to remove the fuse.

I ordered (in the photo, lower) what I thought was a Gtv fan resistor but it looks very different, any ideas why?

Mine in a 1998 phase 2. It seems the part I want (hanging in the photo) looks similar to the 159 range of cars.

View attachment 937954
As you say, remarkably similar to that fitted to the 159, also very similar to the one fitted to the Renault Laguna II which can be bought for about £25.
There is a place that repairs heater blower resistor units, they repair the 147/GT units and a lot of parts used on those fit the 916. I have no experience of them however.

heaterblowerresistor.co.uk

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
That's for the 156 but if Totally Alfa is doing it, and he does do a few parts for the 156 I wonder if there is a version of the 916 that uses it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the replacement part from Gtv city (Facebook) today.

Has the same numbers as the part I removed, will test it out over the weekend. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The same thing happened to me yesterday, its the first time I've seen this problem mentioned. I dis-connected the battery. I was about to put a post on this morning. looked on the forum and this post popped up. Can anyone point me to where the resistor is postioned in the car please. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Passenger footwell, against the firewall. Up behind the glove box.
A bit awkward to get at.
Held by 2 vertical self tapping bolts and 2 wiring connectors.

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS 2007
5,336 Posts
Yes it's mounted into the blower fan housing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts