Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I wonder if anyone can help? I have a Phase 2 GTV V6 which has started to leak water into the passenger foot well. I assume this is a leak from heater matrix and to change is going to be a real B******. Any advice, short cuts ETC would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm taking apart a phase 2 TS at the moment so probably the same heater layout. Like you say looks a nightmare to get out so I wasn't going to bother. I will have a closer look now. If you can't get a matrix let me know.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't think there is. From memory the matrix is connected directly to the pipes which is a bit strange. If I didn't use my car all year round I would be tempted to join the pipes together and bypass the matrix rather than taking the dash out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think there is. From memory the matrix is connected directly to the pipes which is a bit strange. If I didn't use my car all year round I would be tempted to join the pipes together and bypass the matrix rather than taking the dash out.
To be honest a won't use mine in the winter. Where do the pipes exit into the engine bay?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
To be honest a won't use mine in the winter. Where do the pipes exit into the engine bay?

Pretty much from the thermostat directly back ( with a couple of shallow corners ) to the bulkhead -

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums...ing it apart/2011-11-11_12-18-06_DSC_0028.jpg

( Pipe with masking tape and green marker pen ).

You can see the spigots behind the light grey metal pipes here -

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums...ing it apart/2011-11-11_13-09-11_DSC_0031.jpg

The hose clamps at the bulkhead are probably CLIC on a phase 2/3.

This is what you'll need to get to to remove the heater unit -

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums...ing it apart/2011-11-12_08-12-20_DSC_0059.jpg

Looks terrible but really not that difficult. Don't believe the manual though where it says you can just lift one end of that light grey crossmember to remove the heater. It lies. You have to undo it completely to lift it enough to remove the heater unit. But the crossmember does not have to be removed from the car nor do you have to disconnect the wiring cable tied to the crossmember.

You'll also need to get your a/c depressurised and then refilled afterwards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure it's coolant? And not a water leak from the scuttle area?
Hi
Loosing coolant, first indication was steaming up of the windscreen then the heater blower packet up(assume water knocked out fuse)
Originally I thought it was head gasket so this is the happier option.........

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
That does ring true. It's one of the checks I did prior to doing my climate control retro fit project. Unfortunately I can't get at my old heater unit at the moment to measure it again to confirm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts