Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a really cr**p heating system.Mine despite being flushed only ever gets mildly warm even when the engine temp is 90 and the rad fan is at max!
Are there any known heater issues or possibly an air bleed issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
simple, the cable connecting the heater knob to the tap or valve on the heater matrix has a snapped fitting on the end preventing a full range of movement. The good news id the part is cheap, the bad that much of the passenger side dash will have to be stripped out, however when it is pieced back together you will have heat, and many of those dash rattles will have gone also.

There is a How to on 145.com as it is a common failing.

HTH

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Purple I should have posted earlier,12 months earlier when I inherited the car,It'll be a cosy winter after all

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ah,maybe not
as it transpires,the fault lies inside the valve which opens and closes the water channel to the matrix,the valve is in effect a sliding plate with a hole through it, thereby blocking or allowing the flow of heated water.the internal drive dog of which has sheared off! Anyone know if the replacement valve is obtainable?
I've looked on eper online but found no listing.
Help!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Hmm... my heater has always been rather weedy too. :D It does get warm.. just you need the dial on Max to get anything you could describe as "hot" out of the system.

Interesting that it's the same part as the 155 v6 (mine has a small crack and is leaking.. so I actually bought an OE replacement last month... not fitted yet). May commandeer it from myself for the '45 and see if it works. :)

Dealer cost was about £31 from memory, so could be worth spending a quid more to get an OE rather than the eBay "no-name" doodah...?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That seller "ae-car" does sell OEM Fiat parts so the that valve may well be an original Alfa part he's selling. A quick email to the seller would confirm it (or not).

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Yes.. I was surprised the dealer price wasn't a whole lot more, so it could be a genooine part (dunno who would bother to make those aftermarket, to be honest.. :( )

Might have to buy an extra one anyway then.... though by the time I get round to fitting it might make it a December 2012 job... :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a stack guys
While looking for the part I decided to repair the old one,So I split the old one with a razor saw,removed the broken drive spigot,turned a new one from acetal ,heat welded the flanges back together and Presto! all fixed. After that I found the same one on ebay as Giallo has indicated(thanks for that anyway). It's the shared experience that really makes this forum.
Cheers!

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Did you get any photos?

Did the dash have to come out to fix it? In the Guide, it looks like the fella took the dash off to find out where the leak was, rather than because he really had to (if he'd known what part to change). Is the valve accessible from below?

If it's fairly simples I might have a look at mine...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah that'll be a resounding NO
Its not accessible for two reasons
1) there is an additional guard under the dash, covering the actual valve.
2)The hoses attached to the valve and matrix are traditional Alfa,can't re tighten them back up,and need to be changed for standard.(only one needs to be removed though.)
The up side though is that after only a mile or so there is warmth!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The heater valve is pretty inaccessible, without removing the dash, as per CMA's guide. If anybody has changed this (especially with the original horrible hose clip!),without removing the dash, I'll be seriously impressed!

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
My heater has gone on strike altogether now (coinciding with the cold, cold weather.. :D).

It's faintly warm on maximum, rather than faintly hot... so I need to replace that valve sooner rather than later.

How does the bottom part of the dash come out? I had a look at it in daylight yesterday and I couldn't see any screws or bolts at all. How do I get the beast off? Does the gear-lever tunnel cover have to also come out?

The link to the 145.com article doesn't work for me... :( so apologies if it is (or was) all in there...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Hmm... 145.com seems to be knackered at the moment.. doesn't recognise my username to validate my new account.. :D The quickie link ID/Usercode doesn't work either...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Tell me what your user ID is and I'll take a look.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've just looked at the new member registration log and can see why you are having problems. When entering your details on the registration screen you need to read the anti-spam questions and answer them correctly. This means not answering "I am a SPAMMER and will only be posting SPAM on the forum so please DELETE my account" to the "Member Type" question :D As a result of this, your newly created account was immediately deleted (automatically) which is why you couldn't then log in ;)

There is also another anti-spam question directly underneath that one which needs a correct answer too for registration to be successful. It's unfortunate that these kind of questions have to be implemented but it's the only way to stop ******* spambots automatically registering and then flooding the forum with junk.

Just register a new account again using the same name.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts