Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just bought another GTV twinspark, and working through a few little jobs...

But I cant find the heater fan relay!!

I've searched all the threads about a/c, heaters, etc and there is only 1 mention of it,
and on my car its not there! (and its not in the owners book either)

I've had the fan out, and is working from a 12v source, fuses all OK.
(not getting anything from the heater / air con circuit only rear demist)

Its not even working on full power so don't think its the resistor either...

Anyone know where this pessky thing is please...??

Steve

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My original answer was on the right track, but not properly explained!

There is no relay for the phase 2 heater fan. That's probably why you can't find it :)

The fan is actually permanently live - even with the ignition off. The fuse for the fan is under the expansion tank in the engine bay. It's a supplementary fusebox with 4 fuses in it.

The fan is switched on/off and it's speed is controlled by the speed adjuster right next to it operating on the earth wire.

Also, the speed adjuster is nothing like the phase 1 speed controller. That was a fairly crude device with 3 resistors and 4 inputs. The phase 2 speed controller is an electronic device. (I think it is actually a voltage regulator controlled by the climate ECU ).

So, to fault find you need to establish that the fan is getting 12v at it's input from the fuse in the engine bay. If it isn't you may need to check the fuse or the wiring.

If the fan has 12v at it's input, then the likely problem is with the speed controller. The part is common with some other cars like the 156. You cannot replace it with a phase 1 speed controller.

Other possibilities are a faulty climate ECU or wiring between either the fan & speed controller or speed controller and climate ECU.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that...

I've had the resistor, fan motor and control panel out and run power through the motor,
and visually checked everything else... So to the engine bay!

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuse for the fan is under the expansion tank in the engine bay. It's a supplementary fusebox with 4 fuses in it.

The fan is switched on/off and it's speed is controlled by the speed adjuster right next to it operating on the earth wire.
Do you mean the 4 large fuses under the cover bolted to the bulkhead 'Behind' the expansion tank, or are there more fuses 'Under' it...??

Thanks again!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right. I've checked every fuse and relay on this car now, and all appear to be good...
(swapped over, and run a continuity check with test meter)

Still nothing.

The fan works when you put a 12v supply across it, but the only thing working on the a/c control panel in the car is the rear window demister. Nothing else lights up or does anything.

If it was a resistor failure, am I right in thinking the fan would run at full speed as its live all the time? Or am I understanding things wrongly?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
No, you're thinking about the crude phase 1 device. The phase 2 is electronic.

The fan works when you put a 12v supply across it, but the only thing working on the a/c control panel in the car is the rear window demister. Nothing else lights up or does anything.
That's interesting. The climate ECU control only hosts the HRW LED & switch. The switching is actually done by the N82 services unit. So that indicates that the climate ecu unit has a problem.

The climate ECU uses a permanent live ( same supply as the fan ) and a switched live from fuse F13 in the main fusebox.

So, first thing, double check fuse F13 in the main fuse box.

Next, there's a white multi-way connector between the fan housing and the main heater unit ( you'll need to get on your back in the footwell again to see it. Or take out the glovebox. Check the red wire has a permanent live 12v supply. Then look for the orange wire in the same connector. You should have 12v on that with the ignition on. If both supplies are OK, I'd be suspecting a faulty climate ECU or a wiring fault in the wiring between that multi connector and the climate ecu.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Next, there's a white multi-way connector between the fan housing and the main heater unit ( you'll need to get on your back in the footwell again to see it. Or take out the glovebox.
More info on how to find that. There's a yellow zinc plated bracket between the fan housing and the main heater unit. It has 3 connectors on it. The smallest is the spider hood switch and not used on the GTV. A hefty connector with 2 fat wires ( red & black ) fan supply and climate system earth ). And the white multi way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just going back out to car to check F13 again, but my manual tells me this is the windscreen wiper fuse, and that F14 below it, is the fuse for Climate Control System.

It also states F14 is the Cigar lighter fuse (and that still works...)

Multi-meter time I think!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
LOL!

Workshop manual has F3 for the wipers.

Actually, I don't think you can count the positions, the numbers are completely arbitrary. Looking at the fusebox drawing in the workshop manual shows F3 as the wipers above F13 ( climate ) which in turn is above F9 RH main beam.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for sounding a bit thick, but is the "The climate ECU control" the in-car controls with the switches on it? (that is the same as the 156)

Thank you again...

·
Registered
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just pressed 'Buy it Now' on one from a 156 so I'll wait and see if that fixes it first!!

Thanks again!
Steve

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It'll be an interesting experiment.

-----

Did you remove the plastic inner wing cover to find those 4 fuses in the engine bay? If so, and only if it's still off can you have a look for a connector for me please. If you've put the plastic cover back, don't worry about it.

There's a picture of the connector I want to find in this post ( the 5 wires that are supposed to come out the other side haven't been fitted yet ).

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/4490458-post1.html

I think it lives somewhere in the region of the washer bottle/nearside headlight unit. The plastic conduit pictured will disappear down behind the bumper ( it actually goes to the aircon pressure switch on the receiver/drier ).

The wire colours are :
Black with Purple stripe
Green with White stripe ( may be White with Green stripe on a JTS )
Purple
Black
Grey with Black stripe ( may be Green with Black stripe on a JTS )

It would be most helpful to me if I knew where this connector lives and what it is clipped to!

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had both the near side and off side covers off...

The near side (with the expansion tank) had no fuses under it, but the 4 big fuses attached to the bulkhead with 2 smaller fuses under weather proof covers...

Off side cover had 2 fuses under weather proof covers and what looked like 3 relays

Which side are do you want looking at, as the O/S cover is still off and I can't see that connector anywhere on that side...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It'll be an interesting experiment.

-----

Did you remove the plastic inner wing cover to find those 4 fuses in the engine bay? If so, and only if it's still off can you have a look for a connector for me please. If you've put the plastic cover back, don't worry about it.

There's a picture of the connector I want to find in this post ( the 5 wires that are supposed to come out the other side haven't been fitted yet ).

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/4490458-post1.html

I think it lives somewhere in the region of the washer bottle/nearside headlight unit. The plastic conduit pictured will disappear down behind the bumper ( it actually goes to the aircon pressure switch on the receiver/drier ).

The wire colours are :
Black with Purple stripe
Green with White stripe ( may be White with Green stripe on a JTS )
Purple
Black
Grey with Black stripe ( may be Green with Black stripe on a JTS )

It would be most helpful to me if I knew where this connector lives and what it is clipped to!

Thanks.
It looks like its clipped to the chassis then runs down behind the bumper...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
About an inch down from the rubber bonnet stop...

Think there's a bit of black plastic in your picture where it mounts.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
That's interesting. That clip is used for the bumper electrics on mine ( fogs, indicators etc )! The other connector in the photo with the orange seal.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts