Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just joined the forum having used it before to browse only so hopefully not going over old ground. 156 sportwagon 1.6 (normally) very happy owner but yesterday found the heater fan running when I went to get in the car! Ignition was not on, key in hand hence v surprised and bit baffled. No speed control available on the fan but selecting recirc or ac changed the speed/noise. Have had local garage disconnect the blower motor to save the battery and after some head scratching and gallic shrugs (living in France) they called local alfa rip-off merchant who advise going to them and changing the control panel (not cheap!) anyone had the same snag or know of the cause please - all ideas welcomed:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but wrong fan - its the heater / air con fan that is running not the cooling fan. But you're right about not running when the ignition is off, which suggests a short somewhere or a stuck relay ( if there are such things is this system)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've taken a look at the wiring diagram for a 99 model (same as mine) and I can't see how this can happen. The fan motor is connected solidly to earth (negative), and it is the live (positive) that is switched. The live can only reach the fan motor via the resitor pack, which in turn gets its positive connection from the fan speed switch on the dashboard. So even if the live were still connected to the speed switch, you should still be able to turn the knob to switch off the fan. The live to the speed switch comes from relay J35, which is energized by the ignition switch. You would have to have a duff relay (J35) and a duff fan speed switch (H81) as well.

You're not the only one who's had this problem though. I found another posting that appeared to be about the same problem, but it received no replies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Il Dottore, I agree with your view that it shouldn't be able to happen, but can assure you that it has! :rolleyes: Thanks for link back to previous same prob, but as you say no reponse posted.

my local Peugeot garage (who do all regular work on the alfa rather than pay fortune at concession garage ) are of the view that it can only be something within the heating control computer - where is relay J35 located - is it part of that console panel? I've just replaced tyres, plugs and lambda so don't really want expensive answers!

·
Registered
345 Posts
What year is yours? Mine's a '99 and doesn't have a heating control computer. According to the repair procedures CD relay J35 is above the fan motor, and to the right (irrespective of whether the car's LHD or RHD). Bonne chance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Il Dottore, I 'll have the garage look at that this week and see if it can be fixed. Mine is 2000 model sportswagon 1.6 lhd of course. Why do they put the fan motor and relays in such an awkward place? last time I changed a fan motor was on a Triumph Vitesse 2 litre ragtop - what an easy job that was!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes they were much simpler to get at on the cars of my youth, and there weren't any relays to go wrong - just burnt out switch contacts. Actually on the 155 the heater fan's a doddle to get at, don't know why they had to bury it so deep on the 156.

If yours is a 2000 I would expect it to be similar to mine. Do the heater controls consist of two rotary knobs, one with temperatures marked on it and the other with fan speeds off-auto-1-2-3-4, or does yours have the digital LCD display?

·
Registered
16 Posts
did you ever get a fix for the eternal fan? I just got the same problem last night on my 156, so I guess it's a common one. Mine's a 2001 and has the heater controls like your Dottore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry bambina, not yet since I've not had the time to leave the car with the garage. They are sure its just a relay, but that it may be integrated into the circuitry somewhere! They have talked about simply putting in a new remote relay that will provide the cut-off, but will mail you next week once I've had a chance to get it fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi I have just bought an Alfa 156 2.0 T-Spark 2000 on a W plate. Just got it home and found that the Heater Blower is staying on and will not switch off. I have read an earlier thread about the J35 relay and motor speed control switch being faulty. Does anyone know where the relay is located. Cheers Jas..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, it's right next to the heater fan below and behid the glove box. Mine's a Left hand drive, but the RHD is similar I think. Take off the protective panel w/ a couple of 10 mm nuts and you can see it by laying on the floor w/ a torch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Bambina thanks for the advice, I have been hanging like a bat but could not see what looks like a relay. All I could see behind the motor was an oval shaped unit with two sets of connectors on it. To me this didn't look like a relay. I assumed that it may be the resister pack?. I am I correct in my assumptions. I have taken out a fuse from the fuse box by the battery this has stopped the heater fan. But the relays there have no effect on the heater fan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hello bluejas101 did you get an answer - i've finally found time to get underneath the dash and have found the same oval thing as you - is this where the relay is located? if it is and you managed to sort yours, do you have a ref number for the relay that can enable it to be ordered or bought. Really need the darned thing working - freezing me **** off driving at the moment and stuggling to see through the mist on the screen! Ta:confused:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
i've read that if the resistor pack burns out it can cause this secario to occur, where the fan runs constantly.

other wise when the resistor pack burns out only speed 4 will work

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
circuit diagram:

top LHS

Bottom LHS

Bottom RHS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi on friday I took out the center consol surround and the radio to get at the heater controls. I bought a heater control unt off ebay. Once I got all the gubbings out and fitted the replacement unit it made no difference. The heater was still constantly on. My next job will be to take the glove box out and see what I can find. If any one needs a replacement heater control unit it cost me £5.00 plus postage and I will be happy to pass it on for the same costs. I will post my findings later on how I get on. Jas.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats interesting what you say about the control unit Jas, since that's what my local alfa stealer (sorry dealer!) suggested they would do but I had my doubts that was the source of the problem. The post by service enginee also makes sense - is the resistor pack the oval-shaped thing - I haven't opened it yet, I've just seen where it is? Although tricky, I reckon it may be possible to replace that without taking out the glovebox, please let me know if you suceeed

1 - 20 of 57 Posts