Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can confirm this is a bear of a job.

I am about half way through, and it has taken me about 3hours so far. I haven't even removed the old matrix yet.

Two things I have learned so far:

1. You cannot get to the heater matrix without disconnecting and removing the air con evaporator. It is impossible. Lucky (?) that my recently regassed aircon had a leak somewhere and had leaked most of the gas out anyway.

2. Unbolting stuff is the least of your problems with this job. The big problem is access: getting the boxes out (the fan box and aircon evap box) is really hard. The plenum area has no room to simply pull the boxes up, you need to pull them forward and then up. Which you cannot do 'simply' because the firewall is in the way.

I have not removed the false firewall, only unbolted it at the top so that it can be pulled forward. The boxes have bits of plastic chipped off them where I had to manhandle them to get them out. Nothing major, but it is a difficult job. And I have not even finished it yet...

I think I will probably take out the false firewall before refitting everything.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Wee awe telt ewe twisnay easy....hope yer taking loads of pics and the video cam oan. Coz wan day soon my Chinese mechanic says wan day in ra foot your Kseal wull fale.
keep an eye oot fur the drain holes etc as IIRC we really dinnae huv a definite article oan it.

Found out last night that 3.2s urnie 936s ther ur...AXB and various variants.

:eek: 936 ur the ch prefix.
Pomeo

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Can you put up a pic as did this on a 164 but not sure how similar it is .
If it is you can un clip the fan housing on the end of all the air con gubbins and remove to give access to just the matrix .
When I did mine I was led to believe you needed to remove the dash which I did only to find out it wasn't needed 7+ hours for a 2hr jos not to mention various other issues after :mad: :thumbs:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been taking pics but prob not enough for a step-by-step. I'll post them up tonight.

The problem with pulling the boxes out is that they are scraping against the windscreen ledge (not the glass, the lip around it) or the false firewall lip. So I wonder about the condition of the foam seals that stop air from leaking out from joins in the vent plumbing. If it appears that scraping and shoving is damaging these, I will def remove the false firewall (I had to rush off yesterday so didn't have a proper look at the seals).

By the way, I could not remove the boxes just with the firewall unbolted at the top. I got a cargo tie-down rachet and hooked one end to a beam in my garage and the other to the firewall. Tensioned it up a little and it was only then (after about 30min of trying beforehand) that I could get the boxes out.

I also unbolted the brackets that secure the boxes while they were in place, in the hope that the boxes would come out more easily. I don't know if I will reattach them before trying to re-install them in the car, because trying to fit them with boxes in will be difficult.

I'm not saying that this job is impossible, it is just that to do it easily and properly I think requires a lot of dismantling, and while that is time consuming, I wonder if it actually costs no more time than the time taken with pushing and shoving the boxes to squeeze them out. I will go now to study up how to remove the false firewall.

With my old Jeep, it is really easy to get online the official Jeep repair manual. Is there not an Alfa Romeo equivalent? I wonder what the official Alfa way is to do this job?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am well on the way to finishing up this job. The key thing I found was that the evaporator core box could not be removed or refitted in one piece. I had to split the box, wriggle it all around and take it out/re-fit it piece by piece.

When refitting the box, I first tried fitting it as one assembly. That did not work, even after 1/2hr of trying. So after slpitting it again, putting the base and evap in, then adding the top of the box (wriggling it around a bit to do so) it was all in. Just needed screwing together, fairly easy when in place.

I hope this is useful to somebody. I have found the matrix replacement threads a bit lacking in detail. That I totally understand because it is a job that gives you the sh*ts pretty quickly.

Be careful to check that the heater hoses are a snug fit. Mine were leaking a bit when I took a break. Glad I found the problem before reassembling anything.

And Pomeo, my father-in-law is Scottish> I can understand most of what he says even with a thick brogue, but some of your posts I must admit I cannot understand. What was that blather aboot numbers then? :)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
And Pomeo, my father-in-law is Scottish> I can understand most of what he says even with a thick brogue, but some of your posts I must admit I cannot understand. What was that blather aboot numbers then? :)
:D Well Ive never been the same since I had a flick through the bible code.:cheese: Oh an watching STV (Oor telly [vision]).
I am assuming (hopefully not an ass out of ewe n me ,,,ASSuME..(Too much benny hill as a youngster) that 936166 isn'y yer telling bone (Catweazle moment) number ...like was it Beverly hill 924100.......and is a break doon of 936.....the 166 model and wait ferret..166.:lol:

So the million dollar ? How can you tell IF its a real TI years doon the road when everbudy an their granny hus hud a finger in the pie.:wow:

Looking fur TIa's springs I fun the code listed furra 3.2 as AXB....on checking the log book I saw it listed as Version AXB00 Version 17..is this the TI bit? Pomeo has blank Lucy has A1100 version 11...Never noticed this before.

Pomeo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have started a new thread, which I hope the mods might make a sticky.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/635737-166-rhd-heater-matrix-removal-how-to-with-pics.html

I am still working on that pig of a job! I will add pics to the above thread it so it becomes a bit more useful.

I have been trying to fit the bracket between the aircon evap box and fan box. The bracket has to be fitted first, then the fan box pieces.

I tried to bolt the bracket to the lower fan box and install it but had no luck. It wouldn't move enough to then install the upper fan box part. So I had to take off the bracket, fit the parts and then fit the bracket. Such a pain in the arse, this job. I am glad I have had plenty of time and can do it in bite-size pieces.

So again I apologise if my how-to in the other thread above is a bit iffy. I have done my best describing the job while doing the job. Only then finding the way I first described was wrong.... Did I mention this is a pain in the arse of a job?;)

After this, any luck and I'll find the shocks replacement next week and cam belt replacement later in the year a piece of cake....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello 936166, a fellow Aussie I see. This job has been done by many before and also the removal/replace has been covered pretty well previously on this site.
Firstly I found that you had to isolate the aircon pipes (could not see how this could be avoided), secondly You have to totally remove the false firewall (I also have a 164 and have done this several times).
There is a locating screw at the bottom of the unit which is almost impossible to remove with forewall in situ, easier when removed.
You can remove the whole unit fairly easily if you remove tha bracket at the end of the unit(rhs viewed from front) three small screws. Need to rotate a bit but not too bad. NO broken bits of plastic either. Takes 3-4 hours, first time the hardest.
Probably too late for you, but may help others as this is one of the problems that we all have too eventually face - to save gearbox ecu from drowning !
Remember patience is a virtue, and you can always ask us here for assistance,
Ciao. 0427299882

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I think the firewall should come off, it's really time-consuming with it on. Have ppl really done this job with the firewall in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts