Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I'm having a few issues with my air con system smelling of burning. Thing is, I was wondering if there is a way of letting air into the cabin without turning the air conditioner on. Frequently when it's in the off position i get small patches of condensation on the front screen and the cabin is quite hot. What could this be? Is there water in the system?

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
Set it to econ, this allows all functions without the compressor working.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh right I see! So at the moment on my ics is says; MAN + ECON.
So this is basically just the fan without the compressor on?
It is working anyway so no more misty screen. :thumbs:

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
Yes if you press the econ button from full all operations are still controlled by the car ie, temp, air speed and direction of air, if you manually alter any function then it changes to manual.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pressing ECON once more engages the compressor again .....and so on. I use this button to easily switch the compressor off, when i need all of the engine power.
Yes if you press the econ button from full all operations are still controlled by the car ie, temp, air speed and direction of air, if you manually alter any function then it changes to manual.
So even in manual mode, the compressor is still ON? God, why didn't they just have two buttons. Air con ON - Air con OFF.:lol:
In some cars you can have the air coming through the vents even when the whole system is turned off. I think i could do this in my previous 159.

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
Econ + manual = no compressor + you have decided airflow rate and direction.

Full = compressor on or off* + all functions controlled by the system. (can switch the compressor on or off depending on the five temperature sensors.

Auto = compressor on + you have have decided airflow rate and direction.

Off = compressor off + all air flow and direction flaps closed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok paul. Thanks for that. Bit long winded isn't it?!

It's just strange how I get condensation on the screen when it is turned off in the middle of summer!

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
In most cases this caused by a leaking heater matrix, can't remember if you have checked this. But if not put some K -seal in the expansion tank and see if it stops.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah right ok. No I have not checked this yet. I might as well try it anyway. When AO's comment on the heater matrix being replaced, does this include the smell I am experiencing through the cabin? Or are they replacing it because it just gives up completely?

Ps, so you actually put it into the coolant bottle? I din't know it also feeds the matrix!

·
Administrator
5,038 Posts
From a cold engine water circulates around the engine block and the heater matrix, when the car reaches 90 the thermostat opens and water flow through the radiator and back to the engine.

The main air distribution flap determines if the airflow is directed to the heater matrix (hot air) or to the air con evaporator (cold air).

Therefore even when cold air is selected the heater matrix is still being fed with hot water all the time.

As the water has antifreeze in it, this has a smell, some say musty or like bad eggs.

If the leak is small it can be stopped by adding to the expansion tank a stop leak which will feed all the water in the engine and heater matrix.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Tricolori - when I bought my 2nd 166 Alfa Workshop gave it the once over and mentioned the smell of coolant in the cabin. A bottle of k-seal did the trick (hope that is not tempting fate) as a replacement heater matrix is a lot of removing bits and pieces - hence lots of labour cost if you don't feel brave enough to try it yourself. (Not sure I am brave enough)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts