Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Having got up this morning to find the car covered in frost and snow and the temp reading saying -2.5 degrees, I was pleased to find the windscreen and mirrors demist/thaw worked really well.

However as I was on my 30 mile trip to work I had the misfortune to follow an artic for several miles and when I tried to clean the windscreen the washers were all frozen up still. This was after about 10 miles and they were still frozen when I got to work.

I thought I had read somewhere in the specs that the washers were heated???? Am I imagining this? I'm going to check handbook later but I thought in the meantime you guys might know.

If they are not heated then has anyone ever upgraded theirs to be heated?

·
Registered
151 Posts
The quick way to find out is open the bonnet and se if any electrical cables go to the washer jets.
Smon

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
I can see heated jets for a 159 on ePER, but I can't see them mentioned on the config thingy on the Alfa UK website now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I too suffered this today, the jets wouldnt pass water until i had been driving for 1.5 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heated or not that is a very long time to wait for them to start working. I have no idea how you guys in Scandanavia are going to cope. It wasnt even below zero today yet they wouldnt work.

I thought, i must ask about this on the boards, seems i was beaten to it.

The rear was fine by the way.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Part of the winter pack, just like the heated wiper park area;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Time to increase the concentration of washer fluid additive in the reservoir rather than plain old water. The additive has an anti-freeze agent of some kind normally doesn't it?

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Time to increase the concentration of washer fluid additive in the reservoir rather than plain old water. The additive has an anti-freeze agent of some kind normally doesn't it?
Yes.
But the jets will still freeze over because the anti-freeze component evaporates leaving just water on top of the jet. Which then freezes.

Bepending on the location of the jets, the heat from the engine helps to defrost them, usually only when you are not moving. That doesn't happen on a 156, don't know about a 159.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, thanks for the input, I checked and no heated washers, as SR said it's part of the wnter pack (a £500 option). Tried google for retrofittting but no joy.

I wonder if just the heated jets could be fitted? The reason being is the winter pack includes heated seats and windscreen which would be a pain and ££££££ to retrofit.

Assuming it can be done, if just fitting the heated washers how do they work? Does a sensor from the outside temperature unit send a signal or do they have their own temperature sensor?

I'll ask around and see if anyone knows - if any of you have any contacts who might know please post.

Meanwhile I'll increase the concentration of washer fluid and see what happens. Oh! and avoid driving behind artics on dirty roads...........:lol:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Top explanation from DC as to why glycol stops the pipes and bottle freezing but not the jets!

DC - 'ow much wer teh heated jets on Eper?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Why not retro fit some yourself? You could wire them up to the rear windscreen heater so that when you turn that on, the jets heat up. :thumbs:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rafe005 - that's what I was thinking - but who out there knows what the part number might be and how to connect it to the rear screen heater circuit?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Well you could order the washers themselves from alfa i'm sure, and as far as connecting them to the rear heater curcuit......dont forget the circuit runs all the way up to your switch on the dash for turning it on and off :thumbs:

Reactions: mash4077

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Actually the switch doesnt connect to the rear screen, the switch is an input to the climate computer which sends a request over the CanBUs serial network to the body control computer which then signals the rear node to apply power to the screen....best to drive a relay coil off the wire leading to the mirror heater circuit and a feed from the fusebox for power to achieve this.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Top explanation from DC as to why glycol stops the pipes and bottle freezing but not the jets!

DC - 'ow much wer teh heated jets on Eper?
Haven't got a price.
But the p/n is 156064095

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Actually the switch doesnt connect to the rear screen, the switch is an input to the climate computer which sends a request over the CanBUs serial network to the body control computer which then signals the rear node to apply power to the screen....best to drive a relay coil off the wire leading to the mirror heater circuit and a feed from the fusebox for power to achieve this.
Oh yeah, we are talking about 159's arent we :lol: lot newer than the car I did this to.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cheers CJ & DC - great info - I'll check out the price for the parts at the weekend.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, appreciate this is an old thread but how can I tell if my 159 has the winter pack?

(Also - what else was included as part of this pack?)

I want to retrofit heater washers if I don't have them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts