Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here with a Giulietta 1.4 that I've owned since new in Hong Kong. With summer now in full swing and temps above 32 degrees, my Alfa's heated front seat (driver's side) decided that now is the time to turn itself on, full nuclear power. No amount of fiddling with the 3 position dial will convince it to turn off...it just stays on full blast.

My first thought was - unplug the fuse, worry about it later. Of course, the fuse is fuse 61 in the mysterious boot fuse box located somewhere on the left side...which I can't find! I've searched this forum and there doesn't seem to be any details on how to access the boot fusebox. Can anyone help?

The Alfa service center is pretty inconveniently located and I don't have time to bring the car in, especially for something as simple as yanking out a fuse...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The switch is easy enough to find. Why not disconnect here. It's also the most likely place for the fault. New switch hopefully.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
Newbie here with a Giulietta 1.4 that I've owned since new in Hong Kong. With summer now in full swing and temps above 32 degrees, my Alfa's heated front seat (driver's side) decided that now is the time to turn itself on, full nuclear power. No amount of fiddling with the 3 position dial will convince it to turn off...it just stays on full blast.

My first thought was - unplug the fuse, worry about it later. Of course, the fuse is fuse 61 in the mysterious boot fuse box located somewhere on the left side...which I can't find! I've searched this forum and there doesn't seem to be any details on how to access the boot fusebox. Can anyone help?

The Alfa service center is pretty inconveniently located and I don't have time to bring the car in, especially for something as simple as yanking out a fuse...

Thanks in advance!
3 position dial? Never seen a dial. Maybe the heated seat switches have changed in later models? Mine just has a button that you press in down by the left of the seat and it lights up. Are you sure it is not simply turned on by accident?

·
Registered
76 Posts
3 position dial? Never seen a dial. Maybe the heated seat switches have changed in later models? Mine just has a button that you press in down by the left of the seat and it lights up. Are you sure it is not simply turned on by accident?
Same. As far as I'm aware, I only have a switch that turns on and off at the side of the seat. It never gets that warm. What is this 3 way dial that you speak of!?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yep had a 3 stage dial on my heated seats on my 2013 Sportiva.

Is it a full leather/part leather thing?? I had full leather in the Sportiva (Not got heated seats in my Speciale)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep had a 3 stage dial on my heated seats on my 2013 Sportiva.

Is it a full leather/part leather thing?? I had full leather in the Sportiva (Not got heated seats in my Speciale)

I'm not sure - the models available in Hong Kong only came in leather, and the heated seats (which are useful about 1 month per year here) were standard. Three position dial.

I pried the dial out and disconnected the leads, figuring that the fault must be in the switch. To my surprise, the seats still stayed on full mode, and if anything felt hotter than when it was working properly. I'm guessing that under normal operations, there must be a feedback loop where the heating element would turn off at a certain temperature level (i.e. 1, 2 or 3 per the control dial) before kicking back on when temps dropped down; but now as a result of the fault, the heating element just stays on, leading to a hotter than normal temp. It's honestly very uncomfortable.

Having no luck disconnecting the control dial, I went back to the boot in search of the fuse box. I found it by removing the plastic scuff protector by the boot latch (star shaped screwdriver required), then carefully peeling back the carpeted boot liner on the left side. The fuse box is visible at the bottom of the left side after peeling back the boot liner. Yanked out the relevant fuse and problem is temporarily solved.

Not sure why alfa made it so hard to access that particular fuse box. It's nothing special and neither are the circuits that run through that fuse box as far as I can tell.

Interesting to note too that in Hong Kong, new Alfas came with a 5 year warranty...and my car is exactly one month out of warranty. And - to nobody's surprise - the official importer has stopped representing Alfa as sales volumes were just too low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts