Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, i am driving a Crosswagon Q4 with factory fitted heated seats. At this age if course the heated seats were not working. And they still doesn’t work and this is the reason for the thread. First of all the fuse is ok, and the buttons are ok - the red bulb lights up. I came across one page on the web where another Crosswagon guy shows his fix with replacing the bimetal electric thermostat located at the back of the heating element. I stripped my seat and i saw this - see the attached photos. My heated seat element was burnt where the thermostat is located. I could not exactly see if only the thermostat has burned or if the metal wires that goes through the whole heated seats element were damaged and broken. I bought new thermostats on 70 degr. And changed the thermostat. But the heated seats are still not working. My question is:
1. Is it possible fix of my heated seats elements?
2. If the answer of question 1 is no, is it possible to buy new elements from aftermarket or different car brand and to use my stock buttons. How different the wiring is? Other cars have different levels of heating, etc. For example i can find heating elements from BMW at a good price.

Please see the photos

Attachments

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t fit heater pads from a different car,probably just need to modify wiring plug on the pad I would think.
The control side will still work as it just provides 12v to the heater pad.

·
Registered
479 Posts
might be just as useful to buy a set of new carbon element heater pads and replace with those rather than buying used. They aren't that expensive and should last well. I recently retro fitted into my v6 seats and they work nicely, with 2 heat settings and the switch/relay/wiring loom which you can adapt to suit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heating elements that i can take are from BMW 7er F01 and they are new, took off factory new defected seats. And i can take them on half the price of the aftermarket carbon heat elements. I just dont know if there will be problem with wiring settings, relays etc, because these BMW heat elements have different levels if heating and the Alfa has only on and off and has bimetal thermostat for secure, i dont know if the BMW are the same type. But i guess it shouldnt have problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys. The mod has been done and it works fine for now. I got the new BMW pads from 7er F01 and 5er F10. They are very nice because the heating area is not only on the middle but on the side boards of the seat also. They are heating not too fast but not too slow. Probably because i noticed the leather of the Alfa have additional foam coat also at the back. Also the new heat pads itselfs have additional foam. I did this only on the driver seat, it is very time consuming DIY. But when i do the passenger seat i will try to take some photos and to write a post with info, tips and tricks how you can replace your heat pads.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
There are loads of Volvo 700/900 cars in breakers and they all had seat base and squab heating elements. They are very reliable and given Volvo have decades of experience in this, that would be my choice. They have a thermostatic cut out and draw about 10 amps from memory. Freezing to toasty in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys i will give you some info below about the retrofit. It may work for other cars too. But first - the heated seats worked for two months. Now they dont. Both stopped at the same time. Lights are not working which means that no power goes to the seat pads. Fuse and relay are ok. Now i need help guys, what else could it be?
It is a bit ironic to tell you how to make the mod and at the same time to tell you that it didnt last much time, but it is a matter i guess of some electrcity details that i was worrying about from the beginning. Because those are pads from another car, they probably have different electricity parameters. Theyvmau need different fuse idk, i am not guru in these electro things.
BUT this info might be helpful for replacing with stock heat pads or any other aftermarket kits.
1. Remove the battery terminals
2. Remove the bolts that are holding the seats and the connectors from the bottom side.
3. Once you got the seat out you have to remove the rails (6 torx bolts)
BE879E64-A7F9-4CE8-B8A7-B50D82D579FF_1546890425096.jpg
Remove also the plastic side cover where are the knobs. Easy job.
4. Then you have to remove the button for seat heating and the black square plastic connector housing.
5. Here starts the tricky part - you have to remove the down part of the seat from its metal frame. Start with the back part of the down part ofthe seat. It is a plastic lip or something like that which is clipped to the frame. Unclip it by pulling it up with flat screwdriver and pliers. Once you do it the back part of the upholstery will be released.
B0656692-6525-4FEE-AAAC-643A0B2CE7F8_1546890835803.jpg

6. Release the upgolstery from the metal frame. The upholstery ends with plastic lip which also clips to the frame. You have to unclip it again help yourself with screwdriver and pliers. Start from the end of the sides. Sorry no photo here.

7. Then you should have the down part removed and you have to release the upholstery from the foam. It is attached to the foam with hooks. Again no photo here, i was running out of battery. The hooks are a bit annoying. There are hooks in the foam. The upholstery is attached to these hooks with metal rings which you have to stretch to release the upholstery, they are like a the rings of the key holder. Stretching them is annoying a bit, but dont worry about the rings, when you assemble back everything instead of these rings USE CABLE TIES! ?

8. You removed the upholstery from the foam and now inspect what is going under the seat if your car have factory heated seats. There two options - burnt circuit ir burnt bimetal thermostat. You can try to fix the existing pad by fixing the circuit or changing the thermostat, i couldnt. If you put new pads note two things - the correct side of mounting, some pads have sides and if you put it on the wrong side it may heat not in the way to your ass, but in the way to the floor and you will not feel anything. 2nd watch so to heat pad to be fixed with the cable ties too. My BMW heat pads had holes so i ran the cable ties through the pads. This way they will be fixed without possibility of moving under the upholstery. 3rd thing also very important - run the cables of the pad under the metal frame through the holes of the frame. So the cables will be between the seat and the floor of the car. If you connect the cables wrong or if you have some problems in future this way you will have shortcut to the cables connection. By factory the connector of the heat pads wires are between the foam and the metal frame. And if you have sone work on the wires you have to disassemble the seat for this. Make your life easier.

9. (Only if you fit aftermarket or non-Alfa romeo pad) You are done with the down part, move on on the back part of the seat, this one was a lot easier to me. The back part of the seat also have a plastic lip down there which holds the back to the frame. See again point 5.
263E22F7-7C14-4AF2-A387-1339112E0E16_1546892386017.jpg

10. Good news - there are no metal hooks and rings that holds the upholstery here. Once you removed the plastic lip from each side you will see two white ropes. They end with rubber part which is clipped to the frame. Get the pliers and pull up the ropes to release the rubber part from its nest. Dont worry the ropes are strong, you will not break it that easy.
13FFDC88-7FF1-4043-855F-530DC059055E_1546892718445.jpg

Now the upholstery is loose and you can fit the new pad under it. Your origonal pad may be ok, mostly the down heat pad fails. But thats why i wrote in the previous point that you will replace the back pad only if you fit pads from another car or aftermarket. Because even if your back pad is ok it might not work with linked non-Alfa romeo ass heat pad for some reason. If you came this far you probably have already note that ass heat pad and back seat pad are linked. For example i tried to link my BMW ass heat pad with Alfa back heat pad and they both did not work. For some reason... So if you are not fixing your old Alfa ass head pad, but repkace it with non-Alfa heat pad you will probably have to replace the back pad also.

I suggest using a glue for both pads when fitting them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Are you sure you checked the correct fuse? (no.8 in small extra fuse box above main fascia fuse box).
Knowing Alfa's tendency to simply turn a fuse box upside down for RHD, I'd check all the fuses.

I'd also check the colour of the output wire and check for continuity to seat multi plugs. Also, the fuse is only 8 amps so check connectors for poor connections due to overheating.

·
Registered
479 Posts
if they are the original AR switches check that they are still ok as that seems a common failure point, other threads on that subject and using non-AR switches to replace them.

I don't recall removing the seat rails when did mine on the 156 BTW :) The rings you mention are hog rings, I bought the pliers and rings to redo mine and only used cable ties on the cross strut where I was going thru the carbon element to minimise any risk of shorting to ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How can i check if the switch is ok? Also i opened fuse box diagram for BMW F01 / F10 from which are the heat pads and they really use lower rate fuse - 25A or something..

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
You can check the switch with a multimeter. There will be a switched positive feed (switched by ignition relay). That must then be out putted to the heater pads.

The switch may have a negative going in and also a negative output (return from heater pads). There may also be a low current illumination positive if the switch is illuminated which could mean up to 5 wires. I've not checked one as I've avoided cars with seat electrics.

You could try to get a copy of eLearn with will detail your car's electrical circuits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts