Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that my driver's side mirror does not heat up and clear off any mist in the morning, I have one on my old car I can use, but it doesnt look like those units can be taken apart without the possibility of brakeage, has anyone ever tried and managed to change just the mirror of the unit?

Upon inspection I have found that there is an element glued to the back of the mirror itself, Im assuming that that is the heating element.

Cheers

W

·
0 Posts
Yes, the element is behind the glass as you've found.

I've removed a mirror in one piece before. I gently prised it off by pushing two or three flat wide chisels between the backing and mirror. Took some time but did it!

Another option may be to drip some fluid down the back to dissolve the glue.....white spirit perhaps???

wrinx

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea wrinx, I will see if I can make a cheese shape from a piece of soft wood that fits the height of the mirror and give it a bash. Did you force the chisels in by hitting them or just applying pressure?

Also did you then find it easy to put the mirror back on? You said glue is used to hold the mirror in place!?!?! :(

W

·
0 Posts
Humour said:
Did you force the chisels in by hitting them or just applying pressure?

:eek: :eek: :eek: Nooooo, VERY gentle prising/pushing in. Be prepared for it to take a while if you want it in one piece.

Humour said:
Also did you then find it easy to put the mirror back on? You said glue is used to hold the mirror in place!?!?! :(
You can buy mirror pads to put it back on, try halfrauds...in fact they may even have a replacement mirror :D

wrinx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts